Help Problem P1381 Code and Stutter at 3000 RPM

hubcap1324

Hey all. Hope someone can give me a hand. I have an 02 Accord with 74K miles on it. About 2 weeks ago, the CEL came on right as I was pulling in my driveway. Didn't notice any problem other than the light. So I drove to Advance to have the codes pulled. Came up p1381. Research on the net shows something about a Intermittent CYP Sensor or something to that affect. On the way home from Advance the light went out and stayed out.

Til today I was driving down the Interstate and noticed a stutter, then looked down and seen the CEL back on. As I was driving I noticed the car ran perfect until it reached 3000 RPM exactly. As soon as it hit 3000 RPM it would kind of stutter almost like something was holding it back, really weird. I stopped the car, switched it off and then back on, problem goes away, CEL goes off about 15 minutes later. It almost seemed like a rev limiter at 3000 rpm...strange. I am not a mechanic but logic tells me a sensor problem possibly since switching the car off and on fixes the issue. Maybe I am wrong though. This is such an exact thing, acting up at exactly 3000 RPM I thought surely this has been seen before. Thanks in advance for any help as I will try to fix it myself if I can...

I'm sure someone else will reply with better information, but the CYP Sensor is a sensor for the crank position.

Something is affecting the engines ability to come to the correct position at the right time.

This can be any number of things, but the usual suspects are air flow and fuel. The electrical system is capable of being at fault, but since the air and fuel systems rely on so many variables, I usually start there with crank position problems.

Check your Service Manual for more data regarding the trouble shooting of the error code.

CYP is in the distributor. im not as versed in accords cause theres dfferences. but it sounds like you need that CYP sensor , if its located in the dizzy , you need a new dizzy. im sure it is , the only difference i think is in B series , the CKF is located next to the crank in OBD2. and in F/H series , next to the crank is the CKP.

Hey all. Hope someone can give me a hand. I have an 02 Accord with 74K miles on it. About 2 weeks ago, the CEL came on right as I was pulling in my driveway. Didn't notice any problem other than the light. So I drove to Advance to have the codes pulled. Came up p1381. Research on the net shows something about a Intermittent CYP Sensor or something to that affect. On the way home from Advance the light went out and stayed out.

Til today I was driving down the Interstate and noticed a stutter, then looked down and seen the CEL back on. As I was driving I noticed the car ran perfect until it reached 3000 RPM exactly. As soon as it hit 3000 RPM it would kind of stutter almost like something was holding it back, really weird. I stopped the car, switched it off and then back on, problem goes away, CEL goes off about 15 minutes later. It almost seemed like a rev limiter at 3000 rpm...strange. I am not a mechanic but logic tells me a sensor problem possibly since switching the car off and on fixes the issue. Maybe I am wrong though. This is such an exact thing, acting up at exactly 3000 RPM I thought surely this has been seen before. Thanks in advance for any help as I will try to fix it myself if I can...

I've got the exact same problem!!!! Only difference is, I've been trying to solve it now for 6 months. I've spent close to $4,000, and it's still not fixed. Replaced the distributor, O2 sensor, solenoid, even the fuel pump. Mechanic has basically waved the white flag. He believes it is the computer. The next step is to see if it can be flashed, or if I have to replace it (another $1,500!). My mechanic has worked on the car and seen it first hand. He believes it is in fact the rev limiter kicking in prematurely. The car runs beautifully except when this itermittent happens - and even then runs well up until 3000 rpm.

If you find out what it is, please let me know!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

The Honda dealership just replaced the alternator for the problem (I'm up to $4,500 trying to fix it - I hope this works). My understanding is that when the alternator malfunctions the magnetic field it creates at 3000 rpm impacts the signal going to the engine, or the computer itself.

I think I won't know for sure if this is fixed until next spring when it gets warmer out - (the warmer the weather, the more frequent the issue would surface)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived