1995 Accord ex

susej

My 95 Accord recently started making a loud sound that I think is coming from my muffler up near the motor. It sounds kind of like a fan hitting something, but it is near the back of my motor. Weird thing is that it mostly does it when the car is cold and idling. What do you think it is?

The same car also has a SRS light on in the dash, how do I fix it.

OK, I got under the car and found out that the catalytic converter was making the noise. Actually, it was the outside bottom part of the cover. Around the nuts has broken loose, so the cover was rattling against the bracket. Can I buy the cover without buying the entire catalytic converter?

How do I code the SRS?

I have never seen the heat sheild sold seperately. But if you are able to get your hands on one, more power to you. Honestly, I could not even imagine going to the bone yard to pick one up since they will probably be so hard to remove.

The SRS computer will need to be either : plugged into a coding device (such as a laptop computer, stand alone code computer, etc.), or put into trouble shoot mode.

I personally spent the $5 at my Honda dealership for the plug that has a loop of wire on the end, I cannot remember what it is called.

The thing plugs into the blue male end that sits under your glove box for the EFI and into the orange one for the SRS.

I have never seen the heat sheild sold seperately. But if you are able to get your hands on one, more power to you. Honestly, I could not even imagine going to the bone yard to pick one up since they will probably be so hard to remove.

The SRS computer will need to be either : plugged into a coding device (such as a laptop computer, stand alone code computer, etc.), or put into trouble shoot mode.

I personally spent the $5 at my Honda dealership for the plug that has a loop of wire on the end, I cannot remember what it is called.

The thing plugs into the blue male end that sits under your glove box for the EFI and into the orange one for the SRS.

Hey James,

What is the five dollar thing for? When you plug it into the EFI and SRS what does it do?

My buddy has the same problem, He just hasn't taken it off. Just take the heat shield off, who knows, it may even breathe better now that you won't be holding as much heat. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but you won't have that sound anymore.:thumbsup:

The catalyst inside the catalytic converter functions optimally at higher temperatures. Remove this and your car will spew out NOXs, HCs, etc. until it reaches maximum temperature, which will be lower without the sheild. This is why the sheild is positioned between the converter and the air under the car.

Additionally, the heat shield is a safety feature and should not be removed, god forbid you happen to park over anything slightly flammable like an oil puddle in a parking lot, dead leaves, dry grass, etc.

The CEL and SRS Warning Light are indicators of a stored error code.

When you use the jump wire, it triggers the computer to display this code on the dash via a sequence of flashes of the CEL or SRS Warning Light.

It is the low-tech, cheap ($5.00 at my Honda) alternative to buying a OBD coding device.

Susej:

“Are you saying that the catalytic converter shield could be the cause of the SRS light being on?”

No, I am not saying that at all. You described two separate and distinct problems. The heat shield problem is separate and distinct from the SRS light problem. The Secondary Restraint System (SRS) a/k/a “Air Bags” are neither connected to nor related to your emissions system. Your catalytic converter is part of the emissions system.

Susej:

“If I buy the $5.00 gadget will it come with instructions?”

I am referring to a Honda Tool, not a gadget. I can put the Honda P/N up when I get home. You will likely not find this Honda Tool anywhere else other than the Honda Dealership. No, the Honda Tool will not come with any instructions. The instructions for using this tool are found in your Honda Service Manual (Honda P/N 61SV401). The Honda Service Manual can be purchased at ‘www.helminc.com’ for $72.00.

I am certain the manual can be purchased used, I have seen it sold as such. I cannot say for certain if it can be found everywhere in said condition, but it is found in more places than just Helm Inc.

The tool is Honda T/N 07PAZ-0010100. When you go to the dealership, they will take the T/N and find the stock number and corresponding P/N. It is called the SCS Service Connector.

Archived