2000 accord a/c problem

standup-guy

I have a 2000 Accord. My a/c stopped working completely. I borrowed manifold gauges from my friend. The lowside is creating a vacuum while the high seem to be working properly when i raise the revs. Could it be that the a/c system could be completely out of freon? Or is there a blockage in the system? Since my friend is working out of town and I cannot reach him for 2 weeks I thought i would look to the members knowledge. I would like to be able to order parts if I have to before my friend returns. I noticed the smaller hose coming from the compressor is wet with oil. Thanks for your expertise.

Please explain how you determined the substance on the outside of the return line is oil.

Does your compressor cycle?

Is the blower functioning?

What is the pressure on the low and high side in mmHg, bar, Pascal, or atm?

Take a nail and push against the high side valve with your car OFF, if the system discharges; you’re not completely empty. For a more accurate measurement, go to your Honda Dealership. Note: do not discharge for prolonged periods of time, do not discharge in your face, and leave the immediate area after discharging to allow the R134A to dissipate.

Please explain how you determined the substance on the outside of the return line is oil.

Does your compressor cycle?

Is the blower functioning?

What is the pressure on the low and high side in mmHg, bar, Pascal, or atm?

Take a nail and push against the high side valve with your car OFF, if the system discharges; you're not completely empty. For a more accurate measurement, go to your Honda Dealership. Note: do not discharge for prolonged periods of time, do not discharge in your face, and leave the immediate area after discharging to allow the R134A to dissipate.

The compressor is cycling actually what i call cycling the compressor is not doing When i turn on the a/c the compressor kicks in and runs constantly.The blower is working correctly. The low side pressure is -50 kpa's the high side is 1000 kpa's when the compressor is running When the compressor is not running there is not a vacuum on the low side

As long as there is a difference in pressure between your high and low side, you compressor is functioning to some degree.

I would suggest a performance test at this point. This will gauge the compressors ability to “pump” heat from the inside of the car to the outside air. The test will consider ambient temperature, atmospheric pressure, and coolant volume. At my local Honda Dealership, the test included a leak test and a discharge/collect if necessary; price ~$70.00.

If you are low on coolant, they will fill it for you at that time at a price of ~$22.00 per pound. Don’t fret, you system should only be able to hold a maximum of 12 ounces. They calculate this by weighing the charge bottle before and after servicing.

Archived