Clutch replacement tips for 96 accord

rwhite1102

I purchased my first honda 96 4 cylinder accord with 82k and the clutch needs replacing. I would like to do the work myself and am wonder how challanging this work will be. I am also looking for clutch componant recommendations. I am looking for reliability and durability.

Thanks,

Bob

Tip 1: Get a Clutch pack kit (Clutch, throw bearing, alignment dowel, and pressure plate)

Tip 2: Go to NAPA, it's the closest you'll get to buying from the Honda Dealership

Tip 3: Have either a) a lift or b) a 2-ton jack and rampstands. For every 6 inches off the ground you get between 0-60 inches, the job becomes 10% easier.

I had never done it before, I did it by myself, and only had the Honda Service Manual to guide me. I counted upward of 80 discrete steps in removing the clutch, so roughly 160 total steps to complete the job. I spend around 20 hours the first time, but if I had to do it again it would take me 4-5 hours by myself.

To my credit, up to that point in time I had a good bit of mechanical experience. I had: adjusted valves, changed oil, changed brake pads, changed CV axles, changed valve cover gaskets, installed a new master cylinder, and dabbled with the stereo system.

I messed up in keeping track of how many bolts I had removed from the transmission, so I wasted some time pulling on a transmission that had one bolt holding to the engine (hidden under the distributor). I messed up by not bolting the transmission back to the engine right away after day 1 and spent day 2 wondering how everything came out of alighnment.

After completing a job this big, I had the confidence to tackle anything that has come my way.

Have fun! I did!

Archived