98 Accord Automatic Transmission Replacement estimate?

Bob L.

Looking like i'm losing the auto transmission on my 4-cylinder 98 Accord EX. The mechanic quoted me $2797.00 for the replacement (not including labor). I believe he said he wouldn't bother with a rebuilt transmission for this car. Can anyone verify the cost?

The shop doesn't recommend used or rebuilt transmissions for the 1998. His price for labor was 500, but the transmission was 2800, which I believe is new. My dillema right now is that the car has 168k miles on it and I was hoping for 1 more year out of it. Would have been happy to sell it for $3000, so I really don't want to drop too much cash in it at this point...

There's nothing wrong with a 4-cyl transmission for a 1998 Accord being rebuilt or anything. Besides, they come with warranties that should cover any problems for 2 years or something. If it was a v6, I could understand looking for a new one because there was a lot of issues with the v6 tranny's in 6th generation accords, but the 4-cyl tranny, even rebuilt, should last you 100,000 miles or better. Unless you're keeping the car until 260,000 miles, I'd look for a rebuilt one. Screw that shop.

Also, I'm not positive, but I'd be surprised if they even could get a "new" transmission and not a rebuilt one for a car almost 10 years old, and they haven't used the 2.3l engine in over 5 years. I'd be willing to bet they are all refurbished or reconditioned or rebuilt at this point, but that's just my opinion.

You don't have an f22, you have an f23... Only available in a 6th-gen accord.

Your right, the one on Ebay isn't the actual one the company is trying to sell me it was the f23. Any thoughts on that?

Also, the 2700 price was for a rebuilt with a 3yr/75k warranty, not new. After asking the shop about this used one, he was able to find a used one for 1400, which would have a 3 month warranty. I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible since I only plan on keeping this car for another year or so.

Also, if you know, what is the significance of the f23? Is that the 2.3 liter or something?

Ya, the F23 is what the 1998-2002 Accords had. After that they went to a 2.4l, and I believe that one is DOHC instead of SOHC like the f23. Before 1998, the accords had the f22's (2.2l), all the way back until 1992 I believe, and before that was the f20 (2.0l). The "f" series engines have some interchangeable parts, but I don't know absolutely sure about the transmissions.

Archived