Burning Oil?

honda91chris

• 5 months later...
When i'm driving at 120km/h there's a smell of burning oil coming in the car from the vent. What could cause that? I'm pretty sure that it's a leak some where but where?

How many miles on this engine? If you have high mileage on the engine, the rings may be worn enough to produce blowby that is forcing engine oil through the PCV valve and into the intake.

4/27/2008: Follow-up

If what I suggested above is true, you'll be able to tell by pulling the PCV hose off the intake manifold. If it is wet with oil, your engine is probably doing as described. One partial cure is to put a small orifice (1/16" hole) inside the hose leading to the manifold thereby reducing the amount of area that the blowby can pressure the oil out of the engine and into the intake manifold. Note: If the blowby is bad enough it will find another path through the breather hose connection upstream of the throttle body. The orifice in the PCV hose should reduce though probably not totally stop the oil usage.

When i'm driving at 120km/h there's a smell of burning oil coming in the car from the vent. What could cause that? I'm pretty sure that it's a leak some where but where?

my 97 accord used to leak oil and it was because my step dad changed the oil himself and tightened the filter too much and after a while the seal got compressed and it sprayed oil all over under my car and on the muffler and you could smell it every where.

Archived