1994-1997 Honda Accord V6 Performance

James Matteu

Not that I have the money to do anything beyond regular maintenance, but as I surf the web, I find there are so many older threads on many other forums regarding what can and cannot be done to a C27, but all to often with little to no proof to back it up.

As you may know, or not, the C27 came in several flavors, two of which where on the older Legend: 5-speed manual and 4-speed auto. The Accord only came with the latter.

Auto to Manual

This is the only exception, I have been able to confirm, from photos, the C27 can be swapped from auto to manual. The details of this swap seem harder to find than the people that drive those manual V6 Accords. There are several references to OMEGA's Swap, but I have yet to find any homepage for this person. I have found this person on several forums: Infini Omega, Omega C9, Omega, etc.; but all homepage links are dead.

2.7L to 3.2L

I have seen a few posts referring to increasing the displacement of the C27 by swapping the heads from the C32. Omega lists his ride as a C27/32 5-speed manual, and there are several references to swapping the C32 head onto a C27 block with "some machine work". All references to this procedure are extremely vague and I have yet to see a single photograph of a C27 with C32 heads. Has anyone ever heard of this swap and has anyone actually seen it?

C27 with H22 Pistons

I have only seen one reference to this. Using H22 pistons in a C27 to increase the compression ratio. Using H22 domed pistions to increase it as high as 11:1. Anyone ever heard of this? Anyone actually see a motor with this done to it?

Pressed Hub Delete

I thought I would throw this one in, even though it has been well proven and documented. This is a simple change done to speed the changing of rotors in a racing environment. The parts are sourced from the 1st Gen Acura CL, which when completed, allows the Accord owner to also install the Brembo Performance Upgrade. The procedure for the switch to the CL hubs is found all over the web. The Brembo part numbers are found in my other posts.

H22 installed in reverse

Since I am starting this thread on CE6 performance, I will add this tid-bit. The Accord racing teams used the CE6 chassis with an H22 installed transmission-forward to move the engine closer to the center of the car.

Wider Tires

Again, not really myth worthy as it is common knowledge. I just thought it is germane to this thread to mention the OEM V6 alloy rims will accept the follow sizes without modification:

205/60R15 91V

215/60R15 (91V or greater)

225/55R15 (91V or greater)

I have been told 225 will cause some rubbing, but that was by someone that wasn't running a V6 with OEM rims.

From http://www.hondasociety.com/board/showthread.php?t=117650 :

The tranny, flywheel and pressure plate were...sanded...[but] it does not fit,...4 out of the 6 bolts mated up perfectly...OMEGA'S stated the stationary axel holes for the intermiate shafts are blocked - chunk of the block needed to be grinded out - approx 4 inches in by 3 inches - you grind out a bolt in the process but a magic bolt appears behind the grinded area.

Thank you Velocifero, but I have seen this thread before. 95EXRv6's post got me looking for Omega's swap. What kills me is the part were a magic bolt appears, it goes without saying, the write-up is very non-technical, something that could not be avoided as it was not written by the person that did the work.

Granted, the owner of the vehicle does post pictures that show the 5-speed in the engine bay. Another issue I have is that later, 95EXRv6 refers to Omega swapping the Legend transmission for something stronger, but 95EXRv6 nor Omega ever elaborate on what is swapped in place of the Legend transmission.

Looking for Omega's swap is what led me to the C27 with a C32 valve-head rabbit hole.

Archived