Maintenance Req'd?

catnthebag

Hello all!

I purchased a 2004 Honda Accord LX in Sept of 07, its the first Honda in my family (we've always had Nissans). I got it at 37k mi and it is now at 49k.

When I first got the car, I noticed the Maint Req light would flash a little longer than all the other lights when first starting the car, but that stopped after my first oil change.

Did not have a problem since then, up until about a month ago, even after my oil change, the light flashed a bit longer.

Yesterday, on my way home from work, the Maint Req'd light came on and it hasnt went away. I am due for an oil change this weekend.

Is this normal for a Honda at 49k? Is this just a reminder for an oil change or is it a 50k service reminder, or am I looking at bigger problems???

I've never had a Honda before so I'm not sure how to handle this. With the Nissan's when the Service light comes on, it usually is closer to 100k miles. And when the oil level was low, then the oil lamp light came on... P.S. Sorry if I didnt make much sense, my sinus headache is killin me! >_<

Hello all!

I purchased a 2004 Honda Accord LX in Sept of 07, its the first Honda in my family (we've always had Nissans). I got it at 37k mi and it is now at 49k.

When I first got the car, I noticed the Maint Req light would flash a little longer than all the other lights when first starting the car, but that stopped after my first oil change.

Did not have a problem since then, up until about a month ago, even after my oil change, the light flashed a bit longer.

Yesterday, on my way home from work, the Maint Req'd light came on and it hasnt went away. I am due for an oil change this weekend.

Is this normal for a Honda at 49k? Is this just a reminder for an oil change or is it a 50k service reminder, or am I looking at bigger problems???

I've never had a Honda before so I'm not sure how to handle this. With the Nissan's when the Service light comes on, it usually is closer to 100k miles. And when the oil level was low, then the oil lamp light came on... P.S. Sorry if I didnt make much sense, my sinus headache is killin me! >_<

The Maintenance Required light is not the Check Engine light. The check engine light indicates a problem with the car, the maintenace required light indicates it is time for general maintenace (what ever that may be for your car based on its' mileage).

To reset the maintenance required light do the following:

1. with the car off, push and hold the reset button located near your spedometer gauge

2. holding the button, turn the key to the ON position so all the dash lights come on, but you have not started the car

---you will see the Main. Req. light come on for a second, go off, and then com back on---

3. still holding the botton, hold until the light goes off (approx. 10 seconds)

4. you can then release the button and remove the key

The reset is done, and the light should come back on in another 10K for your next scheduled maintenace, you can then reset it again. The people doing your oil change should be resetting it, but if they don't it should come bach on after 10K. A flashing light usually indicated that your car will need maintenance shortly, while the solid light would indicated you have reached it, or gone over.

Good luck.

Archived