96 honda accord lx

mrbody4545

i changed vavle cover gasket and plugs tried to start car turns over but wont start get fire from the coil, and no.1 spark plug had fire i did not replace wires,rotor bug,or cap could that be the problem

Since you do not have a Vtech and you have tested the external coil for spark that should be ruled out. The cap is unlikely the problem as it should still run (maybe not well), but never-the-less still run. Rotor too is unlikely. What your are looking at may be one of two common problems for your generation Accord:

1. the ignitor (located in the sub-assembly a.k.a distributor), this part can be easily replaced without replacing the entire distributor assembly

2. or the main PGM-FI relay (located above the under dash fuse box, inside the car) Note, if you have cruise control the cruise control box may block your view it.

Good luck.

Newbie with one post changes a gasket and some spark plugs and then the car won't start, my hunch is that he switched some wires.

The more pertinent question is: Did you remove all the spark plug wires simultaneously or one by one, replacing each removed wire before removing another?

Weak spark sounds like the electrolytic solution in the ignition coil has precipitated its buffering complex, but wait for someone else to chime in, you may have something else going on besides the ignition coil.

Both the coil packs and ignitors failing are very commonn with this generation car. New coils from the dealer run around 75$ with the ignitor is very expensive (at least in my world). If there is a weak tack. signal at the coil when tested with a test light then they would most likely be looking at a bad ignitor. If there is no signal, then I would be suspect of the coil first. But the way the world works is they both could have gone bad at the same time. I have seen stranger things.

Archived