96 Accord with shaved decals, how to tell the model ex lx?

SeanyC

Whats up, I recently bought a used 96 accord that the previous owner stripped the Honda badges/emblems off of. Anyone know if I can decode the specific model using the VIN? If so what character of the VIN equals what? My car is a non vtech and has a factory sunroof but I do9nt know if its a EX or LX?

Your 4-cylinder Accord's VIN's 8th digit gives the Vehicle Grade: 0 (SE), 2 (DX), 3 (LX), 4 (LX w/ABS), 5 (EX), or 6 (EX w/leather).

If you have the 6-cylinder flavor of Accord, the 8th digit is also the Vehicle Grade: 3 (LX), 4 (LX w/ABS), 5 (EX), 7 (EX w/leather).

I am curious, what brought you to that conclusion?

Lack of VTEC? I'd imagine the Accord EX has it, since the Civic EX of the same year does, then again I've never paid much attention to Accords. :p

My car is a non vtech

So is everyone else's.

Your 4-cylinder Accord's VIN's 8th digit gives the Vehicle Grade: 0 (SE), 2 (DX), 3 (LX), 4 (LX w/ABS), 5 (EX), or 6 (EX w/leather).

If you have the 6-cylinder flavor of Accord, the 8th digit is also the Vehicle Grade: 3 (LX), 4 (LX w/ABS), 5 (EX), 7 (EX w/leather).

Good info James

Lack of VTEC? I'd imagine the Accord EX has it, since the Civic EX of the same year does, then again I've never paid much attention to Accords. :p

Same here. I thought only EX's had VTEC up until '06?

• 5 months later...
you could also put the vin into carfax and it will tell you what year make model etc and that is part of the free partial report.

Except it gives you a LX/EX here is my carfax (paid for one)

1996 HONDA ACCORD LX/EX

1HGCD5630TA107386

SEDAN 4 DR 2.2L L4 PFI SOHC 16V

FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

And i am looking at getting a header but it seems that there is some size difference in the LX vx the EX. or would putting a high flow Cat remedy this issue?

Except it gives you a LX/EX here is my carfax (paid for one)

1996 HONDA ACCORD LX/EX

1HGCD5630TA107386

SEDAN 4 DR 2.2L L4 PFI SOHC 16V

FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

And i am looking at getting a header but it seems that there is some size difference in the LX vx the EX. or would putting a high flow Cat remedy this issue?

8th digit of your VIN is "3", therefore you have an LX.

Whats up, I recently bought a used 96 accord that the previous owner stripped the Honda badges/emblems off of. Anyone know if I can decode the specific model using the VIN? If so what character of the VIN equals what? My car is a non vtech and has a factory sunroof but I do9nt know if its a EX or LX?

FYI its VTEC not vtech

i have v-tec!!! the eco-v-tec :D

i have MIVEC :p

A much simpler check for this is does the car have a moonroof?

EX came with one, LX did not. You could buy an LX with the moonroof add on option but it was so god-awful expensive that it was only couple hundred more to just get the EX. In 96 Honda had not yet started the 'Special Editions' which were LX's with alloys and a moonroof.

Archived