94 accord w/ h22a power steering dilema

KonigRR

I have a 94 accord, with the H22a swap in it. Bought it like that, so i dont know much of what was needed to be done to get everything to work properly. Ive had the car for about 4 years. I recently had some trouble with it. It was loseing alot of power as i was trying to accelerate. Long story short, i took it to a guy that said 2 valves were warped. So he replaced them, got the it all back together, but it wouldnt start. He tried many things he could think of to get it running but couldnt. So he called me up, said, i cant get it running, i dont know whats wrong, and if you come have it towed away, i wont charge you for the work. So i said, crap, alright. Then i got it back to my place, called a mechanic i know to come take a look. After a few hours of exusting every possibility, he noticed the main Ground wasnt bolted back to the motor. lol, so he hooks it up, and presto, we got it started. But he said we still need to figure out why those valves warped. After some work, came down to needing new plugs, wires, and a new distrubutor cap. BUT, while we figured that all out, thats when the power steering pump started making noise, and the fluid bubbeling out of the resovuor (sp). He said, the pump prolly went out. So i got a new pump, put it in, same problem. I then took it to AAMCO, not just transmitions anymore. But they did a free Diag for me and said everything looks ok, probably just a defective pump. so i took it out again, got a diffrent one from a diffrent company, and put it in. SAME frackIN PROBLEM. Now im freaking out, because im moving in like 3 days. and i need this car workign so i can sell it to help pay for my new one. Now i took it to a honda place, not aftermarket, but a place that does OEM work and can survice warrenty things. They spent a few days, and came up with this. The prelude pump doesnt work with the accord Rack, the pump is putting to much pressure in the system, because accords use a speed sensor and the prelude has some type of high pressure valve.

My question is, how the f*ck do i get this to work, what do i need to do. Get some type of cobverting thing? A bracket for the accord pump to bolt up to the prelude motor? What do i do? Is it possible i needed to buy an accord pump all along? HELP ME PLEASE and thank you for even reading this wall of text...

...thats when the power steering pump started making noise, and the fluid bubbeling out of the resovuor (sp)...

That sounds like air in the line, but I am sure at some point you bled the system, if not, do it.

Could be a bad seal, somewhere, letting air into the system, but I am sure you have looked for leaks, if not, do it.

I don't like the reason you were told, but I don't know enough to say one way or another. In fact, I am so unknowledgable about it, I cannot really see why replacing the pulley on the pump to restrict it to low rpms wouldn't solve your problem, but like I said, I don't know enough to come up with a practical solution.

I would look for power steering fluid around the steering rack boots and weep hole (located between the innner tie-rod-end and outer tie-rod-end). If it looks suspect, I would un-do the clamps on the boots for the steering rack and look for fluid in the boots (they should be dry). When the main outter seal of the rack are leaking you will get "bubbles" in the power steering reservoir. If there is fluid in the boots then you have found your problem (the steering rack is leaking a.k.a. Bad). This is probably what you are going to find assuming there are no other leaks within the power steering system. Racks can be rebuilt if the proper person is doing it, but typically people/shop/dealer will simply put in a re-built rack.

Hope this gives you something to look for.

Good luck.

I would look for power steering fluid around the steering rack boots and weep hole (located between the innner tie-rod-end and outer tie-rod-end). If it looks suspect, I would un-do the clamps on the boots for the steering rack and look for fluid in the boots (they should be dry). When the main outter seal of the rack are leaking you will get "bubbles" in the power steering reservoir. If there is fluid in the boots then you have found your problem (the steering rack is leaking a.k.a. Bad). This is probably what you are going to find assuming there are no other leaks within the power steering system. Racks can be rebuilt if the proper person is doing it, but typically people/shop/dealer will simply put in a re-built rack.

Hope this gives you something to look for.

Good luck.

I was doing some research, and from what ive seen, people used a 1996 prelude bracket, which allowed the accord pump to be installed. I'm pretty sure the shop i took it to checked all the boots and what not. I will call them tomorrow, and see exactly what they DID check, and report back you.

Archived