rear struts and mounts 2001 accord and regular maintenance

zoltron30

Hi guys

i need struts and mounts for my 2001 accord. my mechanic is charging 500.00. honda wants 750 and canadian tire has a special for 100.00 for the struts. should i buy them from canadian tire and have my mechanic install them? im weary about buying them from canadian tire for some reason.

when i drive slowly and make turns i hear a clunking sound from the rear.

also my 01 accord has 64k, do u guys recommend any tune ups or anything? im going to flush the coolant out soon.

thanks guys

when i drive slowly and make turns i hear a clunking sound from the rear.

I have a 1997 Honda Accord EX-V6 and don't need new suspension components (yet). Really, what you describe sounds like something is loose.

Sorry I cannot help you with your pricing dilema, especially since your probably referring to Canadian dollars.

Honda shocks rarely go bad. Your car has spring coil over shock. Many places call them "srtuts", but they are tech. a coil over shock. I am guessing you are hearing a dull "clunking" sound in the rear of the vehicle. I have seen and replaced bad shocks on your generation car, however, more often then not, the dull "clunking" sound that occurs with your generation is caused by the sway bar being warn in the bushings that hold the sway bar to the body of the vehicle. The sway bar wears and the play in the bushing will cause that sound. Find out if the shocks are leaking or the coil springs are broken (both of which are not that common). If so replace those with Honda parts if you can afford them. If they are not leaking (as is most often the case) then the sway bar can be shimmed where it meets the bushings. If there is no play in the bushings, then it may be a rear sway bar link has failed (not that un-common). The only thing with them is it is nearly impossible to get any noticable play out of them while they are attached to the car. They are a ball joint style.

Other things that cause a clunking noise in the rear of your vehicle are any one of the bushings in the five point control are system. There are several bushing for the rear suspension on your car. It is one of the changes Honda made. I personally like the way they perform, however, when the clunks start they are very hard to diagnois. With the car off the ground it is almost always impossible to get any play in the bushings, no matter how hard or where you apply force.

It may be the shocks, but I wanted you to know this information so that you can ask questions and get your problem fix and not just spend money on something you may not need right now.

The 97's and older have a completely different suspension in the rear. The fronts are similar.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Honda shocks rarely go bad. Your car has spring coil over shock. Many places call them "srtuts", but they are tech. a coil over shock. I am guessing you are hearing a dull "clunking" sound in the rear of the vehicle. I have seen and replaced bad shocks on your generation car, however, more often then not, the dull "clunking" sound that occurs with your generation is caused by the sway bar being warn in the bushings that hold the sway bar to the body of the vehicle. The sway bar wears and the play in the bushing will cause that sound. Find out if the shocks are leaking or the coil springs are broken (both of which are not that common). If so replace those with Honda parts if you can afford them. If they are not leaking (as is most often the case) then the sway bar can be shimmed where it meets the bushings. If there is no play in the bushings, then it may be a rear sway bar link has failed (not that un-common). The only thing with them is it is nearly impossible to get any noticable play out of them while they are attached to the car. They are a ball joint style.

Other things that cause a clunking noise in the rear of your vehicle are any one of the bushings in the five point control are system. There are several bushing for the rear suspension on your car. It is one of the changes Honda made. I personally like the way they perform, however, when the clunks start they are very hard to diagnois. With the car off the ground it is almost always impossible to get any play in the bushings, no matter how hard or where you apply force.

It may be the shocks, but I wanted you to know this information so that you can ask questions and get your problem fix and not just spend money on something you may not need right now.

The 97's and older have a completely different suspension in the rear. The fronts are similar.

Good luck.

hey turtlehead u are exactly right! it was the swar bar and link pins that i needed. i took i to canadian tire and they charged me 270.00, which included the alignment! thanks my mecahnic said it was the struts and mounts and that i dont even need an alignment, lol.

Archived