Buying an 05/06 accord!!!

elijahblake

i'm wanting to know if i should go for the 4 cyl. or the v6?

The 4 cyl. has a timing chain and the v6 has a belt, right? This makes me think less maintenance, what exactly do you have to do with the chain, anything major like getting the belt replaced?

I know the v6 has 1.5 times more horsepower, but the way gas prices are going i'm more worried about mpg. I know it's only about 4 mpg difference on the highway, but i guess any little bit will help.

I just want to get everyone's opinion on the pros/cons of the v6 vs. the 4cyl. which one will last the longest? Cheaper maintenance ect....

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions...

eli

• 2 months later...

My wife drives our 04 Accord EX with the 2.4l 4-cylinder. The car usually has plenty of power, even with the automatic transmission. The only time the engine really needs to wind up is when hauling 4 passengers (or heavy cargo) with the air conditioning compressor engaged. We have owned the car for a year, and I do not regret choosing the 4-cylinder model.

I've been driving my 1997 Honda Accord EX-V6 since January 31, 2003. I have the same V6 as the Acura Legend from the late eighties. It is a 90° V-6, cast iron with 24 Over Head Valves, a timing belt, and PGM-Fi.

Before that I drove a 1986 Honda Accord LX. It had a 12 Over Head Valves, a timing belt, and CVCC.

They both have the same throttle response, both get 19 city and 25 highway.

The first things I noticed to be different is that the V6 would pull hard and accelerate much faster than the 4 cylinder, I liked how it would lift up when I would get on the gas hard. The V6 responds well to heavy loads in the car, the 4 cylinder would slow down alot.

Lately, the 19/25 has been killing me. I have considered buying a Honda Fit, but feel parting with the:

leather seats

leather steering wheel

8 way adjustable seat

power moon roof

heated seats

digital climate control

and heated mirrors (coming soon)

would be too much to bear, since none of these are available on the Fit. IF it was possible to economically import a Mercedes Benz A series wagon to the US, I don't know if I could resist.

Archived