strange problems with lights

AJN

I have a 93 Accord LX. Last night the backlight on my dashboard and my both my tail lights went out. The brake lights are OK and the accessory lights in my dash are OK. The green boxes around “D” for drive and such all work but the light behind the speedometer/ odometer doesn’t.

I changed every fuse that had something to do with lights. Only one fuse looked questionable, but I changed them all anyway. This didn’t work. I then took out all four light bulbs in the trunk and they all look perfectly fine.

Any ideas on what the heck is going on? Does anyone know if the taillights are wired in series? Possibly in series with the dash lights?

Please help!

The dash lights should be seperate, but without a wiring diagram, I cannot be sure. I doubt they share a common ground since they are on opposite ends of the car.

How did the dash bulbs look?

Didn't take the dash bulbs out. Never done that before. Admittedly I got frustrated and gave up when it got dark outside

Do you get any function from your tail lights? Can you depress the brakes and they come on?

Is your system diagnosis warning light coming on? That is the little picture of your car on the dash that usually lets you know a door is open and which one it is. There should also be a light for the tail lights labelled "Brake", it's below the trunk open indicator "bar".

I ask since my 1986 Accord LX had this indicator and so does my 1997 Accord EX-V6, so I figured surely a '93 LX would too.

My initial feelings:

The dash lights, I believe, have just blown out. The brake lights are another story, I would like to have more information regarding those (see above).

I have the same problem on my 90 Accord EX (2 Dr/ 5 speed), but mine only happens when it's cold and the motor is cold. If you let it warm up they should kick on. I'm thinking mine might be because I had neons installed under my dash and the wiring isn't perfect, although it was professionally installed...

I don't actually have an answer for you though...

I have a 93 Accord LX. Last night the backlight on my dashboard and my both my tail lights went out. The brake lights are OK and the accessory lights in my dash are OK. The green boxes around “D” for drive and such all work but the light behind the speedometer/ odometer doesn’t.

I changed every fuse that had something to do with lights. Only one fuse looked questionable, but I changed them all anyway. This didn’t work. I then took out all four light bulbs in the trunk and they all look perfectly fine.

Any ideas on what the heck is going on? Does anyone know if the taillights are wired in series? Possibly in series with the dash lights?

Please help!

Please help!

Well, they are linked commonly. Simple logic. I will get to that in a moment. First, are your headlights working? Second, do you notice the other lights (transmission drive lights, factory radio if you have one) dim when you turn your headlights on?

Your dash lights, tail lights, etc. are all connected through your switch (a.k.a. your dash lights and tail lights stay off unless you turn the switch to turn the headlights or marker lights on. You can take the switch control arm out of your drive console and manually jumper the hot wire to the tail light supply wire and see if they come on, or you can jumper it at one of the lights on the hot wire. You may be looking at a bad switch assembly. In the past few years I have certainly replaced a few of those in other cars of your generation. You can always get one from the salvage yard and try swapping it out.

Overall your goal is to try and get the lights to come on by manually bypassing the switch, if they work that way then your source is probably the switch. They are a wear and tear item, and the Honda prices usually aren't too bad.

Good luck.

Archived