carbon fiber

OTiS

was wondering if anyone knew about painting carbon fiber? does the paint cover up the look of it? does the material show through the paint? would it still be lighter than OEM if you painted it? just wondering cuz i heard something a while back about painting it but wasnt sure.

Yes, paint will cover the carbon fiber so that it will look like an OEM part if is made in the same shape.

Personally, I think this is a superior meathod of handling carbon fiber since the paint prevents UV degredation of the polymers the carbon fiber fabric is set in. This point of view is often contrary to the aftermarket application of carbon fiber, since most people use it as a status symbol that must be visible and not hidden.

My cousin and I both have carbon fiber forks on our bicycles. Mine is painted and his is not, the only way you can tell mine is carbon fiber is: mine has "carbon" stamped in white on it, and the fork is shaped in way that would be difficult if not impossible to duplicate with aluminum or titanium.

It will still be lighter than OEM unless you use gobs of leaded paint.

• 2 months later...

Archived