Switching OEM mufflers

draft

Ok so my accord is dual muffler, but the oem mufflers are kinda ugly, they have no silver tips, its just straight up muffler

How long will it take to swap my mufflers for another pair of oem mufflers with silver tips? (shown below)

04262008076.jpg

It's going to depend on how much work you are going to put into it. You can just stick tips on them to cover up the ends that would take you about 10 minutes, but ultimately they aren't worth anything. If you just want to replace the mufflers to change the sound and appearance (axle back) it will take you three bolts per muffler depending on how long the mufflers have been on and how rusted the bolts are will determine how long it will take you. Let's say, as little as 30 minutes, as much as 2 hours depending. If you want to squeeze some performance out of it and do a full cat-back replacement exhaust, you're definately going to have to do something special to get the bolts off. It'll only be three bolts on the cat and a few hangers but you're going to have to torch them or cut them or beat the crap out of them to get them off. Then re-assemble. Minimum of about 2 hours probably, more if you don't have the tools on hand to do it and the proper replacement bolts etc.

Jeffro: All I will be doing is switching my oem mufflers for another pair of oem mufflers

So it will take about 30 mins?

I live in Vancouver, BC, I'm guessing they're not rusted on

I thought about getting an axleback, but I cant find anything thats quiet enough to my liking

Catbacks are out of my budget for the time being, especially since its dual exhaust, they're about 3-400 dollars more up here as opposed to a single muffler catback

So it will take about 30 mins?

Sounds about right, but to be sure, drop by your local muffler shop and have them throw your car up on the lift and loosen all the bolts. IF anything sticks, they have the cutting torches right there.

Sounds about right, but to be sure, drop by your local muffler shop and have them throw your car up on the lift and loosen all the bolts. IF anything sticks, they have the cutting torches right there.

Thanks!

I was planning on getting my mechanic to swap them anyway, I'm not exactly a car saavy person >_<

if you dont have to do any welding, definitely do it yourself and save some money. if its just bolts that are stuck you can use some PB blaster to loosen them up, then if you have a copper pipe or something, you can use that as an extension on your wrench to get some more leverage

Archived