94 accord limiting @ 3500 rpm...

Dcoronel34

got 94 accord vtec manual... just got the head done... I bought the headhasket kit on ebay.... well they did the headgasket n valve cover gasket ...etc.... well after this ... went to pick it up... drove it 3 blocks n shutted off.... brought it back left it 2 days... guy ends up tellin me that my computer is not working properly... because when I pass 3500 rpms the car limits like if it had a kill switch or somethin....it feels like if it chokes or like when my water pump went on me last year... ... n if I keep reving it car shuts off... even if standing... car sounds guof guoff guoff... ... mechanic put a gsr (non vtec) ecu n accordin to him car was not doin that.... any1.... can it be throttle body/sensor.... not ecu....

Your oil level is low and there is not enough oil getting up around your cam shaft for it to engage. It is a safety on the engine to not engage vtec if the cam is too dry. Add oil or change it altogether. That is why a non-vtec ecu will do it as well, because it doesn't control the vtec engagement. It IS a good way to destroy it for good, though if that's what you're going for because you loose the safety precaution built into your car. Anytime the engine feels like its limited around there, you can count on it being a low oil level. I've seen it and read it a million times.

Your oil level is low and there is not enough oil getting up around your cam shaft for it to engage. It is a safety on the engine to not engage vtec if the cam is too dry. Add oil or change it altogether. That is why a non-vtec ecu will do it as well, because it doesn't control the vtec engagement. It IS a good way to destroy it for good, though if that's what you're going for because you loose the safety precaution built into your car. Anytime the engine feels like its limited around there, you can count on it being a low oil level. I've seen it and read it a million times.

great thanks a lot.... any1 else..... welll im going to check the oil eventhough i think it was double above the second little whole from stick.... as per my younger brother

• 5 months later...
im running a gsr ecu on my car and it works fine and the gsr ecu is vtec

This is an old thread and he said the GSR ECU was non-vtec they were using. I'm guessing using a non-vtec ecu would bypass the safety system that limits the RPM's when there isn't enough oil getting to the cam. That would be a problem, there is a reason Honda's limit the RPM's when there's low oil...

Archived