Troubleshooting the problem child

In my 95 Del Sol, it has aftermarket HU and speakers. The speakers are Alpine SPS-17C2 6½" (50W RMS) in all 4 spots with a Sony Xplod CDX-CA650X head unit (52Wx4).

With the volume turned all the way up, the sound is very crappy and barely audible? This is with a CD playing. I bought a cheap Walmart set of JVC 6½" speakers (CS-V625) for $38 to have them to test if the speakers are bad. I installed one of them in the front door, then began to play the CD. Same thing: crappy sound quality and very low volume despite level turned all the way up, even on the new speaker. I turned the fade/balance to isolate sound to just the new speaker and it still sounds like crap.

Verdict, IMO, is the HU is bad. Confirm? I've been away from the stereo stuff for 8 years now so my diagnosing isn't what it used to be. Seems to me that with a new speaker in place and no change, that it isn't the speakers, but the HU.

This is the HU:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3fkcTxY447L/A...earch=CDXCA650X

h158CA650XMTp.jpg

check the ground and make sure it secure.

if that dont do it, make sure there are no exposed speaker wires that may be touching or grounding out

still having issues. . i would suspect the internal amp is fisted

Returned the speakers to WalMart, as I might need the money for the HU. Turns out it was a smart choice.

Was lazy and took it in to the local (only) car audio shop in the area and told them my issues. They said for $15 they can run some tests, check the wiring, and diagnose the problem. They did so and found the HU was fried. Cool, I hate Sony anyways. So I had them drop in a Kenwood KDC-138 ($100) free install. Now I have tunes again. I'm very happy.

The speakers on the rear pillars are nice and hit the high notes well, but the ones on the doors don't do much. I have to look around for some decent 6½" that will have some decent bass. The cheap JVC's I had from WalMart actually sounded better in the bass department than the pricer Pioneer speakers. Who knows how they'll sound in the car though. Been thinking of Infinity 6022si though.

I've always wanted to try Infinity speakers, but could never afford the decent ones when they came out. I was a Kenwood man.

For subs I could either drill a hole in the rear "firewall" to run wires to an amp/sub combo or buy one of those JBL Stealthbox deals, but for a MSRP of $850, I'll pass. I like the storage compartments behind the seats for small items and a place to put my gun when I leave it in the car because I'm going into a "no carry zone".

Seeing as how the cabin is very small, the rear speakers provide all the mids and highs I could need truly. I was thinking of cutting out the door speaker holes a bit and mounting smaller 8" or possibly 10" subs to the door panels. I'd have the 2 way 6½" in the rear providing the mids and highs, with the subs filling out the lows.

My HU only has one set of preouts so I'd have to run the subs off of that with a 2ch amp and leave the rear speakers to run off the HU. But I'd have an empty set of speaker wires off the HU, I could buy tweeters and put them in the doors, perhaps route some wire and keep the tweeters on the upper portion of the doors with the subs in the original speaker holes.

Why is is the more I think, the more it costs me?

Basic questions.

I was eyeballing some Audiobahn 6.5" 3 way (AS65V) that handle 100W RMS.

I could get a 4chx100W amp or would bridging a 2chx400W amp give me 100Wx4ch?

yea. . . do yourself a huge favor and just forget audibahn even exists. your far better off without anything from that company. Unless the little chrome baskets do something for ya

Not good, eh? I was just looking at specs vs price.

I've never heard of CDT before you mentioned them.

I took off the rear grilles and the Alpine 17C2 speakers are in all four spots.

I'd like to get all 4 speakers the same kind, plus keep it under $200 for the four.

Not good, eh? I was just looking at specs vs price.

I've never heard of CDT before you mentioned them.

I took off the rear grilles and the Alpine 17C2 speakers are in all four spots.

I'd like to get all 4 speakers the same kind, plus keep it under $200 for the four.

alot of people never heard of the companies that I suggest until i mention them

my goal in helping people is to give them options toward the best possible products within their budget. . just so happens. . theres alot of companies out there that can do that, and still sound better then all the popular JL Kicker type brands that people claim are "top of the line".

I personally run CDT mids and highs all the way through my truck and Resonant Engineering subs and amps. I would not suggest anything to a person that i wouldnt own myself

So do you need a headunit?

I've got a Pioneer Premier DEH 560MP that I'm happy with, but I'd sell it so I can get a DDIN touchscreen.

I ended up getting a Kenwood HU. Thanks for the offer though.

I'm about to get the flip out 7.5 inch touch screen that alpine sells, but it cost alot.. to me its worth it... a few of my friends have had it and i played with it, I LOVE THE THING!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I assume this has been figured out, but make sure the "loud" is turned off and usually headunits are only "clean" up to 3/4 volume. above that they send a distorted signal. it seems your bass adjustment is too high, but this is just a long shot.

Archived