axle replacement problem

voltron

i have a 1992 accord and am trying to replace the driver-side axle. i own the repair manual, but i was hoping if anyone has done this befor that they might have an easier way to remove and install the axle. any help would be wonderful and thanks.

i have a 1992 accord and am trying to replace the driver-side axle. i own the repair manual, but i was hoping if anyone has done this befor that they might have an easier way to remove and install the axle. any help would be wonderful and thanks.

Pretty much black and white like the book! Is one of the easiest tasks you can do on a Honda! :thumbsup:

If you have any rust\corrosion on bolts and nuts, I recommend PB Blaster!

Pretty much black and white like the book! Is one of the easiest tasks you can do on a Honda! :thumbsup:

If you have any rust\corrosion on bolts and nuts, I recommend PB Blaster!

the bolts are prety rusty and the Pb is great but i have 3 bolts that WILL NOT come out. i even went out and bought a impact driver and still cant get them loose, any suggestions?

the bolts are prety rusty and the Pb is great but i have 3 bolts that WILL NOT come out. i even went out and bought a impact driver and still cant get them loose, any suggestions?

which bolts?

get a pikle fork and hammer, and have at it. doesn't matter which bolt really you should be able to get it. works best with the ball joints. how many bolts are you removing?? you only have 3 bolts to remove to get the axle out....

take axle nut off , undo the upper balljoint nut(tap side of arm with hammer it will pop apart , DO NOT damage threads of balljoint stud) , undo the strut wishbone bolt , undo brake line from spindle. cut wheels all the way right is passenger side , left if drivers side. emove axle from hub , you can pull the strut forward and place it on front side of control arm rather than straddling it as it sits. once axle is out of hub , use long flat bladed screwdriver , put it in between axle and tranny , pry towards wheel. remove from tranny and straight to the ground if you understood how i told you to put the strut , lol.

take axle nut off , undo the upper balljoint nut(tap side of arm with hammer it will pop apart , DO NOT damage threads of balljoint stud) , undo the strut wishbone bolt , undo brake line from spindle. cut wheels all the way right is passenger side , left if drivers side. emove axle from hub , you can pull the strut forward and place it on front side of control arm rather than straddling it as it sits. once axle is out of hub , use long flat bladed screwdriver , put it in between axle and tranny , pry towards wheel. remove from tranny and straight to the ground if you understood how i told you to put the strut , lol.

thanks very much. im kinda in a different pickle now though :( i got the hub loose and was trying to remove the lower ball joint to make the job easier, well lets just say that didnt work. curently i have broken a 2ton puller and the new 5ton still wont move it, but the ball joint has no nut left on it (had to cut it off). i have the new ball joint but still cant get it to pop out of the lower control arm. i dont have acess to a torch and am workin off of jack stands if anyone has a sugestion im all ears. p.s. i have tried teh pickle fork and the joint is eating into it (and still hasnt moved).

thanks very much. im kinda in a different pickle now though :( i got the hub loose and was trying to remove the lower ball joint to make the job easier, well lets just say that didnt work. curently i have broken a 2ton puller and the new 5ton still wont move it, but the ball joint has no nut left on it (had to cut it off). i have the new ball joint but still cant get it to pop out of the lower control arm. i dont have acess to a torch and am workin off of jack stands if anyone has a sugestion im all ears. p.s. i have tried teh pickle fork and the joint is eating into it (and still hasnt moved).

i had the exact same issue when i replaced my driverside that got over extended and popped out of the cup. another idea you can do is get that fork back in there, instead of beating it with a hammer, find a bar 3ft or longer at least that will slip over it and pry down, theres pretty much no other way left. except get another jack jackstand or piece of wwood and place it under that ball joint bolt and lower the car a little onto it while your prying/hammering. that adds quite a bit of leeway in help

...i got the hub loose and was trying to remove the lower ball joint to make the job easier,...the ball joint...nut...had to cut it off...i dont have acess to a torch and am workin off of jack stands

It is obvious to me that you are in over your head, but do not take my words personally, I have been in the same pickle before. I would suggest doing your best to remove the other ball joints and CV Axle nut so that the Knucle/Hub Assembly can be removed from the car. Then take the Knuckle/Hub Assembly to your local auto repair shop (walk or ride bike if you have too, the assembly should fit in a backpack). Ask the repair shop to replace the ball joint for you.

That ball joint will only come out with a torch or a press, since you have neither, I believe the aforementioned course of action is the best course of action.

Archived