Good Battery, No Power Anywhere

vincenzo525

I haven't had any problems with my car until yesterday when my wife tried to start the car for some errands. She put the key in and got full dash lights and air, but the engine didn't crank at all. There was no sound whatsoever. She turned the key back to off, then back to on, but this time there was no dash lights, no air, no nothing. Not a single electrical component of the car seems to be working now. The power locks don't work, both interior and exterior lights are out. We know the battery is still good and charged by its indicator and a healthy induced spark. We tried jumping just to make sure and there was no change.

We jiggled all the wiring coming from the battery and tried to start one more time. This time, there was power in the dash again, but when I tried to crank the engine, the ground cable sparked against the frame and we were back to nothing. No more jiggling has done anything. The fuses all seem to be fine and the battery terminals looks fine.

The grounding wire looks a little corroded but no to bad. Other than that I have no idea what's wrong. I have heard about problems with the ignition switch, but (and I'm guessing here) since we don't have any power, not just dash, air, and ignition shortages, that the switch isn't the culprit. If it isn't something simple I will have to ge the car towed to a shop and I really don't want to deal with that. Any ideas? I really appreciate any help I can get.

Adam

Sorry to have had you read that and then have me tell you I figured it out. After posting about the slightly corroded look of the grounding wire, I decided that we might as well clean it and see what happens. It worked. We just moved to Ohio from Arizona and I think the extra rain and humidity caused some corrosion, a lot of which I couldn't see. Thanks anyways!

Sorry to have had you read that and then have me tell you I figured it out. After posting about the slightly corroded look of the grounding wire, I decided that we might as well clean it and see what happens. It worked. We just moved to Ohio from Arizona and I think the extra rain and humidity caused some corrosion, a lot of which I couldn't see. Thanks anyways!

Welcome to Ohio!

too bad i didnt get to this earlier, i could have told you that wire was the reason. i bought new terminals and their was a bit of "dirt and grime" in them and my car wouldnt start, it would click and die. cleaned em up, and it was all perfect. the spark you were getting was a bad connection.

Archived