1990 Accord - turning ignition key leads to screeching

Bingo Player

When the ignition key is turned (the car does start) a loud screeching occurs until the key is wiggled just right. Also, the steering wheel is locked and I can not change gears until the screeching is stopped. This is not an easy task when it occurs.

It is the original key and has been used quite frequently. It does have a very slight bow. I know I must get a new key.

My questions: does the ignition switch just need tightening? Does the old key make a difference?

Thanks in advance for any tips, ideas and your time :)

I've never heard of screeching keys, only screeching belts.

Old key should not make a difference when it comes to functionality.

My brevity and lack of knowledge in regards to how keys and cars work really shows, I suppose, I'm sorry.

Yes, I agree it seems that the since the car has started easily, the sound being produced must be part of the 'other' function(s) of the car.

It is not possible to drive the car though. The automatic shift would not shift to any other position. The steering wheel would not unlock.

So, having great fortitude and temerity I twiddled in the car the key. (Sorry) I wiggled the key and slightly twisted while wiggling the key and even pulled back on it slightly (so it started to come out about 1/4 inch or so) VIOLA the sound stopped, the car could be driven normally.

I guess I just need to spend money at the shop again :(

• 2 weeks later...

The car was started using the same key as mentioned above.

It seems while the key was in the ignition and turned to "on" or "start" the ignition switch tried to keep telling the starter to start.

New ignition switch fixed it. And it came with a new key!!

Archived