Overheating

cpico

I have a 1997 accord se 2dr with 165000. I have never had a problem with the car overheating but recently after climbing into the mountains about 6000ft the car was getting overheated and steam/coolant was escaping from the overflow. The cooling fan was not coming on and then later at lower elevation it did again. Once it cooled down I checked the radiator and it was empty. I refilled it and again it overheated only when climbing and just loses water or coolant through the overflow there is no other visible sign of water leaking. Would this be a thermostat problem or something else.

Not a mechanic but need help!

cpico

I have a 1997 accord se 2dr with 165000. I have never had a problem with the car overheating but recently after climbing into the mountains about 6000ft the car was getting overheated and steam/coolant was escaping from the overflow. The cooling fan was not coming on and then later at lower elevation it did again. Once it cooled down I checked the radiator and it was empty. I refilled it and again it overheated only when climbing and just loses water or coolant through the overflow there is no other visible sign of water leaking. Would this be a thermostat problem or something else.

Not a mechanic but need help!

cpico

Water pump? Can you tell if there is any flow?

check thermostat,

fan sensor, and radiator. radiator may be clog. and dont add coolant to a hot engine unless engine is idling. if you add coolant to a hot engine and not running engine you can crack your engine head.

id change the thermo to a cooler thermo, so it opens up at cooler temps to keep your car cooler, and i would have guessed a loose or leaking hose, but you said there was no leaks, so im stumped...

Archived