front lower ball joints - 01 accord

zoltron30

i need to buy front lower ball joints for a 01 accord. i was thinking on buying them from honda, for like $50 dollars each and having my mechanic install them for me... is it a rather difficult job? should i let honda install them for me? thx

i need to buy front lower ball joints for a 01 accord. i was thinking on buying them from honda, for like $50 dollars each and having my mechanic install them for me... is it a rather difficult job? should i let honda install them for me? thx

You'll need a ball joint press. You borrow/rent them from Autozone. Only need a deposit. Any mechanic should be able to install them, and there is no real reason to pay the $80/hour that a dealership charges. Perhaps you should try the job yourself?

• 2 weeks later...

I drive them out with a Snap-on air chissle with the mushroom/hammer head bit. I put the new ball joints in the freezer for about 20 minutes, then heat the knuckle with a tourch, and then tap the new joints in with a bronze punch and hammer. Takes about 15 to 20 minutes per side including taking the wheel off and popping the old joint from the lower control arm (not including the time for the joints to sit in the freezer).

Archived