1991 honda accord ex Major problem

service1

We have a 1991 honda accord ex 2.2 automatic that came into shop for repair It had no spark we replaced igniter module and coil in distributor new plugs gaped at 44 new distributor cap Got excellent spark now repaired main relay under dash also swaped it out for new one have 40 -45 lbs fuel pressure at rail cleaned and tested all injectors tested resistor module for ingectors is 5.2 ohms each connection to injectors have 12volts at one side of injectors tested for injector pulse to injectors from ecu injectors operating as they should spitting fuel into cylinders properly Replaced timing belt and balance belt as to manual specifications drive shaft pully key in up position at number 1 cylinder tdc, fly wheel mark at tdc as shown on flywheel brass flexplate white mark Cam shaft up position mark at proper position distributor rotor at number 1 plug position

compression test on all cylinders @ 155 lbs + - 5 lbs

HERES the problem

WE try starting car it wont start another words the spark is there the fuel is there the timing is correct the injectors are pulsing

it started once idled a half hr turned ignition off wont start again double checked all of above still wont start

so we figured we would give it a shot of ether (starting fluid) eliminating any thing to do with fuel injection problems

it still would not fire (explode the ether) there was / is spark

i had 4 mechanics look at it double checked timing, spark, injector pulses , and fuel no codes

plugs do get carbon black on them meaning they do fire but we cleaned and reinstalled still wont run HELP any ideas anyone?

Not to sound mean, I assure you I am not, but I assume you removed the distributor in order to replace the internal coil and ignitor. Did someone put the distributor back in 180 degrees off? They can go/be forced in both ways, but will only run properly the correct way. I would pull the distributor and make sure the slot (wide on one side and thinner on the other matches the slot on the cam. Simple thing to check and I have seen others do that. Sometimes the car may run (all be it bad) and other times it will not run at all. It sounds to me like the no spark issue was probably an ignitor or internal coil, possibly the PGM-FI, but fixing the problem and then installing the distributor off 180 degrees will make it seem like the car wont run.

If the distributor was installed correctly, I might then look at the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Sometimes wiggling the key while trying to start it will get it going. If it does start by doing that then you have most likely found your problem. I assume that Honda parts were used for the repairs. I have seen several cars with aftermarket ignitors and coils come in not running, simply because the parts were bad.

Archived