98 ex tranny prob

kawirida666

Check with Honda, you might fall under their TSB on it, and it won't cost you a penny.

The only TSB I have seen is for the 98-00 4-cyl transmission, but you might get lucky and find something.

I'm talking about the known issue for TLs, MDXs, Pilots, and V6 Accords. There may not be a TSB for it, but Honda knows there is an issue.

You forgot the 97-01 Prelude sport shifts... utter garbage.

Nah, I'm talking about that specific V6 tranny. I'm sure that Prelude tranny sucked balls as well.

Wasn't aware those you listed shared the same trans :thumbsup: (then again, never cared about any of them, lol)

Wasn't aware those you listed shared the same trans :thumbsup: (then again, never cared about any of them, lol)

Not entirely sure they do, but it seems those models are affected by the "dead tranny" issue. Friend of mine that used to work at Acura, saw a TSB or some other shop bulletin about it, and the vehicles it affected. Even though Honda/Acura won't publicly admit to liability, they've replaced every prematurely killed tranny that's rolled into their shop.

I thought the 6G transmission issues centered on a poorly forged transmission case1.

The internal operation of those faulty transmissions was being affected by a misshaped part of the case that was restricting the flow of lubrication.

The symptom that indicated a misshaped case was on the transmission was that the transmission would suddenly and inexplicably fall into a lower gear. Honda issued the recall based on the possibility that a car could be moving at 60+ mph and fall into second gear, causing the driver to loose control of the vehicle.

The transmissions subject to the recall are:

all 2003 Accord V6 coupes and sedans,

2004 Accord V6 coupes with VIN 1HGCM82..4A000001 through 1HGCM82..4A007538,

2004 Accord V6 sedans with VIN 1HGCM66..4A000001 through 1HGCM66..4A030387,

2004 Accord V6 sedan with VIN 1HGCM66..4A032783,

2004 Accord V6 sedan with VIN 1HGCM66..4A036643,

2004 Accord V6 sedan with VIN 1HGCM66..4A039356, and

2004 Accord V6 sedan with VIN 1HGCM66..4A0403812.

The older the car is the more likely Honda is to replace the transmission.

It sounds to me like you have a chipped or damaged 2nd gear, this may have resulted from heat building up between the countershaft and secondary shaft for 2nd gear from the aforementioned transmission case issue.

Sources:

1 Reuters, June 30, 2004

2 Honda Service Bulletin 04-037, April 08, 2005

You just listed 7th generation accords. 6th generation had an issue (could be the same thing) that my understanding stemmed from a mismatched engine/transmission. i.e., one was produced in Japan and one in the U.S. Could be the same thing in that the transmission was made in Japan and had a defective case that didn't line up, but having never owned a V6 auto accord, nor do I ever want to, I only know what I've read.

And all the automatic transmissions Honda has made fail prematurely if you ask me. Some people just need to step up to a manual and forget about it. :thumbsup:

edit: You can read more about it than you ever wanted to know on 6thgenaccord.com if you want. Plenty of information there.

Generally speaking when you are experiencing flare up between gears or slipping on the 6G V6 trannys with under 100k Honda will replace the transmission. As James was talking about it is usually a low flow issue to the clutches. There are a couple of things you can try if Honda will not replace the tranny.

Start by removing the shifting solinoids and cleaning the filter screens. In laymans terms they look like two canasters (a little bigger in diameter then CO2 pellet gun canasters) sitting side by side with two electrical connectors. There should be 3 6mm bolts (10mm heads) connecting them to the trany. You will find one of the solinoids on top of the trany, and the other on the lower front. Once you unbolt them you will see the screen attached to each solinoid. Clean throughly and re-install. Then drain the trany, replace fluids, drive and repeat. This will not help every V6 trany shifting problem, but sometimes it is the cure, especially if the problem just started. If it seems to shift better after doing so, try replacing the fluid again and see if it continues to get better. If that does not do the job then it is trany time. This takes minimal mechanical skills with investment in fluids. BTW, if the fluid in the trany is really dirty we will use Dexcron III fluid to do the drain and fills because it is a lot cheaper then Honda ATF, and if it seems to cure the problem we will then do drain and fills with Honda ATF.

Archived