odd sound when pressing brakes - gas pedal is stiff

zoltron30

hi guys i have a 01 honda accord and when i apply the brakes while coming to a stop, i hear whats like a worn out sound. almost as if something needs to be lubricated. it only occurs when i apply the brakes. i replaced the front pads, rotors and link pins recently.

i also noticed that my gas pedal is stiff. when the car is parked overnight for example, i have to press the gas pedal rather hard to accelerate the car....

thanks!

If you recently changed your brake pads, they may not be past the "break-in" period yet, and sometimes they can give some strange squeeks, etc. during that time. If you're past that point, its always possible that one of the pads has shifted, or even that something wedged itself inbetween the rotor and the pad, etc.

I have had problems myself on occasion where the gas pedal will stick, almost to the point where it seemed to not go anywhere without considerable force when I first started my car, but after a couple pumps/revving the engine, it would be fine from there on out. The problem for me was linked to excessive carbon build up in the throttle body. A good cleaning always took care of it. I had to clean it out around ever 35k-45k miles until I reached about 120k. After that, I put a CAI on, and amazingly the problem cleaned itself up and I haven't had a problem again for the last 105k miles I've put on my car. Not really sure why, either. By the way, I no longer have the CAI, but I returned to the stock intake with a K&N drop-in now for the last 20k or so. We'll see if the problem returns!

I had a similar problem with pads that had already passed their break in.... I tried everything to stop that grinding brake noise.. flushed the system, changed pads again etc...

Eventually the best solution I found was to switch to softer pads.. I went for wagner quickstop organic pads as opposed to the semi-metallics and apart from stopping better, the sound was gone... consider it.

Archived