2004 Accord A/C clutch n/w

Dana

My sons 2004 V-6 LX Accord's a/c quit working today. The clutch is not engaging, so here are the details:

1. A/C light on

2. Blower fan works @ all speeds

3. Gauges showing 120/120 psi

4. 12v showing @ blue/red wire to compressor when switch is engaged. (I am tapping into this wire with a 12v probe light)

I feel the clutch coil is bad but the kicker is there are two wires coming off the compressor plug in, I can trace the blue/red wire as 12v but cannot trace the blue wire as it disappears into the engine's abyss. According to the wiring schematic I see another symbol/wire for ground but isn't the coil grounded via comp/block mount. Is this blue wire going to a pressure switch or what? Could this wire keep the circuit open?

First things first, with the engine off, try spinning the clutch. If it does not spin then your have two options, replace the entire compressor or if you have the knowledge, re-build it. That being said, if the clutch spins, check the high and low pressure for the A/C system (that will tell you a lot about what side of the system you are potentially having problems on). You may have a bad valve or as you are desrcibing, a possible electrical issue.

Unfortunately, I have replace several of these compressors over time, so it is very possible that the compressor is in fact bad.

Archived