It sounds like a cat is stuck under the hood when I turn.

ehenyey

I'm new and not a do-it-yourselfer. I have a 92 Accord with 178,000 miles, original owner. The clutch was slipping so I had a new one and fly wheel put in. The day I picked it up as I drove home I noticed a squeal as I turned the steering wheel. It sounded like someone was pulling on a cat's tail. It does not happen every time. I took it right back and they told me to drive it around a bit, that maybe the fly wheel and clutch plate needed to "meld" together. So I did and it did not go away. I realized it couldn't be the clutch because I was never using the clutch when the sound happened and I could sort of "feel" it in the steering wheel. Today I took it back. First they said they couldn't get it to make the noise. Then they said it needed a new steering rack and allignment and it would be $767. Ordinarily I would believe them but this last time it seemed like they were piling on the things that needed to be fixed. For example, my husband took his car in for an oil change and came out $350 later with rear brakes and a bunch of other stuff. The other thing that was odd was that, when I asked if it could be related to the work done on the clutch, the man said that it was amazing how many times other things popped up right after the car was repaired. I'm wondering if this sounds like a steering rack is needed or if there could be some cheaper explanation. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Unlikely it is the steering rack itself. Sounds more likely to be either low on fluid or the power steering pump.

The power steering fluid is easy to check. Start there first.

Easy check if it is the power steering pump is to sit on flat dry pavement when stopped. Have the car running and slowly turn the wheels all the way to one side or another. The wheel should spin easily and evenly all the way to the very end that the wheel can turn. Power steering pumps that are failing will often squeal when reaching the very end of the turning radius.

What he said ^^

At the same time the mechanics in the shop are human. It could also be that they forgot as well.

Add a little fluid to that and give it a try.

If it is still squealing and you do not want to work on it yourself make sure to tell the next place what information you already know: that it was a little low and when and where it squeals and that you felt the last shop was trying to take you. Successful shops live and die on customer service. If you tell them you were disserviced at the last place they will usually work harder to earn your future business. A lost customer for their competitor is an opportunity for them to gain a customer.

I stopped at a Honda dealer on the way out of town today and bought some power steering fluid. Added it and guess what...no squeals. Thanks again. I'll keep an eye on it. And thanks, too, for the hints on working with a new service station.

Unlikely it is the steering rack itself. Sounds more likely to be either low on fluid or the power steering pump.

The power steering fluid is easy to check. Start there first.

Easy check if it is the power steering pump is to sit on flat dry pavement when stopped. Have the car running and slowly turn the wheels all the way to one side or another. The wheel should spin easily and evenly all the way to the very end that the wheel can turn. Power steering pumps that are failing will often squeal when reaching the very end of the turning radius.

All the above, and when done with that, check the power steering resivoir for air bubbles. If you remove the red cover from the resivoir and look inside and you see a frothy bubble mix then there is certainly a problem with the power steering system (this can be done by anyone with mechanical knowledge). With that said it could be the rack or the pump. The boots that protect the inner tie rod ends can then be ckecked for fluid. They should be dry inside. If they are not then the outer seals on the rack are probably leaking. If they are dry, then I would be suspect of the power steering pump failing.

Archived