What controls on/off cycling of A/C compressor on '04 Accord w/cli

Dana

Just installed a new A/C compressor clutch coil on a 2004 Accord EX V-6 w/climate control system. The problem is the A/C is running all the time. With a digital temp gauge in the center vent a reading of 42f is present and the freon gauge is reading about 28/240, this condition existed for 15 minutes.Engine @2000RPM,windows up,blower @hi,temp set to lo or 58f and recirculation air on. My question is what controls the cycling of the clutch? This system is different from anything (80's Chevy,'92 VW) I have worked on before.

Just installed a new A/C compressor clutch coil on a 2004 Accord EX V-6 w/climate control system. The problem is the A/C is running all the time. With a digital temp gauge in the center vent a reading of 42f is present and the freon gauge is reading about 28/240, this condition existed for 15 minutes.Engine @2000RPM,windows up,blower @hi,temp set to lo or 58f and recirculation air on. My question is what controls the cycling of the clutch? This system is different from anything (80's Chevy,'92 VW) I have worked on before.

I thought it had to do with pressure in system more than anything else? Of course I have done very little work on AC! >_<

Did you vac the system to -30psi, seal the system and then install refrigerent prior to operating the system?

Pressure controls cycling. If the pressures remain normal, then nothing is going to make the system shut down. On really hot days, the pressures get a little high, and a switch shuts off power to the clutch to let the pressure go down a little bit. On cold days, the pressure gets low, and the switch shuts off power to let it go up a bit. On mild days, the pressures stay moderate, and the system will not need to shut off.

Obviously, you could always have a bad pressure switch. The pressures you've shown are pretty good though, and it doesn't look like you have a problem.

When you say the condition exists for 15 minutes, do you mean it finally cycles off after that long? If so, you're running perfectly.

I just shut it down after 15 minutes. I spoke with a person at Advance Auto who knows a bit of how auto A/C works and he stated that the newer cars >2000 operate differently than older systems in that the compressor clutch does not cycle every 30-60 seconds or so, they now remain engaged and a thermostatically controlled orfice will control the back pressure on the compressor's high side. I noticed the clutch plate/pulley surface was in like new condition not the gauled look of older style GM compressor clutches. This is a better operating design that will reduce compressor/clutch/belt fatigue. The only time the clutch will cycle is in the winter time when defrost is engaged and compressor clutch is engaged.

• 3 weeks later...

the compressor is cycled by the thermostat which has a probe that is stuck in fins of the evaporator. the purpose of the a/c cycling is to simply prevent the evaporator from freezing. hopefully the gauge you are using is a probe type gauge you actually put in the vent as opposed to an infared type as these are extremely inaccurate when in comes to a/c work. also why did you replace the compressor in the first place?

I just shut it down after 15 minutes. I spoke with a person at Advance Auto who knows a bit of how auto A/C works and he stated that the newer cars >2000 operate differently than older systems in that the compressor clutch does not cycle every 30-60 seconds or so, they now remain engaged and a thermostatically controlled orfice will control the back pressure on the compressor's high side. I noticed the clutch plate/pulley surface was in like new condition not the gauled look of older style GM compressor clutches. This is a better operating design that will reduce compressor/clutch/belt fatigue. The only time the clutch will cycle is in the winter time when defrost is engaged and compressor clutch is engaged.

Archived