91 accord hard to start in summer

blackwater

I have a 91 Accord EX (automatic) that for some unknown reason is extremely hard to start after it sits in the sun all day. The "S" light will blink and it just turns over like there's no spark. Sometimes while the "S" light is blinking it will start but not shift right and I have to shift it manually. It ONLY does this in the summer - in the winter it's fine...above 80 or so and all bets are off.

Any ideas?

The hard starting sounds like the Main Relay. Once it warms up, parts begin to expand, and connections become loose. Once it cools down it's fine. Don't know about the shifting part, but have you checked the transmission fluid level yet?

I just replaced the speed sensor about 6 mos ago and as far as I can tell it's fine. I'll grab the main relay off the parts car and switch 'em out and see if that helps. That would be located in the drivers side kick panel I assume?

Thanks!

Above the drivers side footwell, right above the hood latch.

Above the drivers side footwell, right above the hood latch.

Well, I opened up the access panel down there and there's a bunch of fuses but no relay I can see. Is it well hidden or something? I assume it looks more or less like the relays in the main fuse holder under the hood...?

Well, I opened up the access panel down there and there's a bunch of fuses but no relay I can see. Is it well hidden or something? I assume it looks more or less like the relays in the main fuse holder under the hood...?

No, it's a larger, rectangle shaped, black box. The plug is above it. It's a single relay with a bracket holding it on. I know there is a picture of one on the forums here somewhere.

Archived