2004 honda accord - tranny problems?

zoltron30

i may have to get another car. my 01 honda accord continues to have transmission problems. i like the 04 honda accords but i want to aviod major transmission problems.

does the 04 have any known transmission problems? im looking for such known complaints from other people online, thanks

screw autotragic... just get yourself a manual and you wont have any tranny problems

Why, so he can have a slow car that's a manual versus a slow car that's easy to drive and auto? I personally thing auto is the way to go unless you ever plan to swap for performance down the road.

To answer your question, I don't know. I do know that there were a lot of issues with the auto tranny's due to the design on all 6th gen accords (what you have). I'm not sure if they fixed it for the 7th gen, but I would imagine so. The 6th gens just had a bad design. They made the tranny so it would shift super smooth, but a result was a tranny that didn't last.

Why, so he can have a slow car that's a manual versus a slow car that's easy to drive and auto? I personally thing auto is the way to go unless you ever plan to swap for performance down the road.

To answer your question, I don't know. I do know that there were a lot of issues with the auto tranny's due to the design on all 6th gen accords (what you have). I'm not sure if they fixed it for the 7th gen, but I would imagine so. The 6th gens just had a bad design. They made the tranny so it would shift super smooth, but a result was a tranny that didn't last.

And the tranny problem is primarily the V6's. I don't know of anyone with a 4-banger auto that has a transmission worse than those in any civic or other Honda. One of the big reasons for the problem was the Japan Transmission and the U.S. engine (or vice versa, I don't remember). There was an alignment problem between the two, so over time the transmission would begin to fail.

Personally, I find manual transmissions easier to handle and control than automatics anyway, not to mention the Honda manual's are (relatively speaking) bulletproof.

Archived