Planning to buy a 98-02 Accord coupe

Tinkerbell_too

I'm looking for a reliable daily driver that gets good gas mileage and has more interior room for the family. I currently drive about 300 miles a week in stop and go Atlanta traffic. I have always liked the look of the 98-02 Accord coupe. I want to get a v-6 automatic, leather, power everything, sunroof and spoiler.

Is there anything that I should look out for while I am shopping around? I am seeing that most of the ones for sale have between 120k-170k miles on them. Does a car with this kind of mileage on it normally have alot of life left in it? I have seen posts on here where the older Accords get between 200-400k miles on them - but what about the 98-02's? I am seeing prices between $4,500 and $7,000 from private sellers. Does that seem reasonable?

I would appreciate any feedback that you guys can give me....

I love my 5-speed 4 banger, even in Cleveland stop-and-go traffic. Even the 4-cylinder automatics have been known to develop issues after the 100k miles, but if properly maintained, there shouldn't be a problem. I have over 228k on mine and have hardle had anything outside of routine maintenance on it.

Edit: Also, the Manual transmission V6 Accord's weren't available until the 7th generation accord, so if you're planning on that, you can look until you're blue in the face and there are probably fewer than 10 anywhere that people have invested the money into converting, so if you're ok with manual, its going to have to be a 4-cylinder.

Thanks for all of the information. I think i have pretty much decided against getting an automatic, given all of the potential problems. I have actually found a few 99 V-6 manuals on craigslist, but now my question is - which would get better gas mileage, a 4 cylinder automatic, manual, or a v-6 manual? I want to stick with a 98-02 coupe, but want to get the best gas mileage possible...thanks again for the feedback.

Thanks for all of the information. I think i have pretty much decided against getting an automatic, given all of the potential problems. I have actually found a few 99 V-6 manuals on craigslist, but now my question is - which would get better gas mileage, a 4 cylinder automatic, manual, or a v-6 manual? I want to stick with a 98-02 coupe, but want to get the best gas mileage possible...thanks again for the feedback.

4 cylinder manual will get the best mileage.

98, 4 cylinder auto- 23 mpg

98, 4 cylinder manual - 24 mpg

98, 6 cylinder auto - 21 mpg

Taken from fuel economy.gov

We have approaching 90K on our 2000 V6 auto accord. Not had a problem with the transmission. Here's a list of things that have happened to it.

Alternator failed, engine mounts (1 right and 2 tranny) failed, problems with front window winders, right replaced under warranty, rear left window winder failed and replaced on my nickle. Right seat weight sensor failed and replaced under warranty. some electrical box was also replaced at the same time.

fuel burn is around 18 for short city trips in the summer (Phoenix) nearly 30mpg for long trips to CA.

nearly forgot, rear brakes wear out fast. expect 30k max mileage

Archived