New Honda owner - 98 Accord LX

Regmike

I bought a used Honda - 98 LX Accord - 4 cly Auto. This is my first Honda and I am not familiar with any potential problems.

I get a code of P0420 catalyst efficiency low bank 1. The car has 91000 miles and seems well maintained. Rides well, but gets a slight vibration at idle. Am I looking at replacing the cat? What others things should I consider first?

Should i use techron injector cleaner with new gas?

Also - the trans shifts well but I don't know the maintenance history. Is it wise to get a complete trans flush and fluid replacement? I have heard conflicting stories as to the benefits of this procedure.

Any other pitfalls or advice on the car would be appreciated. As I said, the car seems well maintained and clean and I want to keep it that way - Thanks!

Catalytic converter is a possibility. So are one of the two oxygen sensors. There is one sensor before and one after the converter. I might try unplugging the sensor(s) and see if the car starts running differently or if the codes change.

It is not recommended to flush a Honda transmission. The key word is flush. You should only drain and refill. It does not clear all of the gunk out, but gets the worst of it that settles to the bottom as well as dillutes the dirty fluid.

At 91k you need to be worried about the timing belt and the water pump. Honda recommended cycle on that is 60-80k and if it has not been done yet that you can confirm you should have it done immediately.

Accord 4 cylinders are surprisingly 105k recommend T-belt interval. I was a bit surprised when I found that out.

How come? That's what mine is too. I wouldn't be surprised if all Honda's were like that.

EDIT: actually it's 110K

110,000 mi/176,000 km/7 yrs Scheduled Maintenance

Recommended service for your 2005 Honda Civic:

Replace timing belt, and inspect auto-tensioner and water pump

How come? That's what mine is too. I wouldn't be surprised if all Honda's were like that.

EDIT: actually it's 110K

Newer I imagine. Early 90s were 90k. Late 90s, 105k. I guess sometime in the 2ks, they changed to 110k. Better components perhaps?

Def. get a new timing belt and waterpump installed...I just had a new seal and belt added but the shop neglected to tell me it would be wise to change out my waterpump as well..Today my waterpump bearings froze and my timing belt slipped off...>Wipes forehead! Lucky it didn't break and ruin my engine...

edit..If you ever get any idle surging check your PCV valve...My Honda was surging in such a ridiculous manner that it was driving me insane!..During a routine oil change and service the tech replaced it and it idles correctly now..

Archived