Lucky little car

JewelsAccord

Hi everyone!..this is my first post and not a good one neither :( I own a 1993 Honda Accord EX no mods other than coldair intake and exhaust type things...Runs great, fast, beautiful and is currently at my local shop..."Dead" A few months back I noticed what seemed like an object might have gotten caught up under the car because it was making a weird noise...I stopped got gas and checked under the hood, under the car seen nothing..So I went and and today I was driving then all of a sudden the car made this horrible noise than stalled...Fluid pouring everywhere and I knew something bad just occured..Ne-ways, the shop just called and gave me good news..Waterpump bearings went and my timing belt slipped off rather than " flung" all over my engine >_< Gawd, I feel so lucky! I love Hondas but this is what scares me about them...I just had a new timing belt put on, but the shop never said to change out the waterpump as well...They also didn't do the job correct because the plastic belt cover wasn't correctly put back on and the tension wasn't correct making the engine balancer "go back" into the engine...I'm just thankful that belt didn't break :crazy: Are all Honda engines "Interference" or just Accords? Thanks guys for reading my story...I wasnt exactly sure what was wrong with my car until they called while I was posting Go figure!..LOL

So are they gonna change your waterpump now? Is it ok? How much is it gonna run ya?

Yeah, they are going to be changing out that waterpump..I just can't believe well, I can believe actually that the other shop never mentioned about replacing it along with my timing belt..I also broke some pulley during the whole ordeal...I'm just very happy my timing belt slipped off rather than broke when that water pump froze up...The cost for the new belt, wp, pulley, new fluid will run about 500 bucks :crazy: I feel sick now..LOL all this couldve been avoided if that shop wouldve been honest...to top it that shop didn't install the timing belt correctly at all..The plastic cover was backwards..WTF?! How can you bolt that in "Backwards"...And among other things that was causing the balancer to move in an odd direction...

Yea, well most of that price is for the labor. The parts aren't too big of a deal.

That's exactly what the shop said it was all labor rates mostly :( about a 4 hr job he said...the WP is pretty darn cheap...I believe my alt was more costly..Does it make sense to replace that timing belt though?..It only had about 4,000 miles on it...It didn't break or burn just slipped off when those bearings locked up...

we just did this on my cousins civic the other day.. it didn't really take a lot of time.. it took us like 2hrs at most... the thing is you pretty much gotta take the engine apart to replace everything... as for the timing belt, usually when your belt gets messed up or your WP gets messed up.. people change them both since you already have the engine apart...well at least thats what we do

well usually when you change the timing belt usually you should change the water pump i mean your already down there why not make sure everything is good so you dont runinto problems like these.....

the whole reason as to why they didnt mention the water pump is that it would eventually fail before the 90k miles are up and would need to be replaced...well as you know thats a good labor rate pay out job...get the picture? i dont care if one has the excuse oh but its a family friend...business owners are family friends of everyone because..thats good business, and if he or she eludes to your thoughts of getting a good deal, they just got a customer they can keep milking money from.

tell the to replace the belt tensioner as well.

well usually when you change the timing belt usually you should change the water pump i mean your already down there why not make sure everything is good so you dont runinto problems like these.....

Yeah, I tried to get the shop to put on the new waterpump but they swore up and down it was fine..I had my new timing put in around August last yr.. so 5 months later the WP goes...I will never take my car back there again..Period

Archived