89 Accord help

geeteedan

Got me a 89 Accord LXi from a guy at work a few months ago. Car looks awesome and runs pretty good. Anyways, 3 things have come up recently and i need some input on how to fix them. First, the gear shifter moves up and down thru all the gears even with the car off ( its an auto). With the car on i can press the brake and hear the clicking noise coming from the gear shifter like its suppost to to let the shifter shift gears but i can put it in any gear with out pressing the brake. Second, on cold mornings the car dosnt want to reconize its in park and it takes a while to get the keys out. After the car warms up alittle inside i can play with the shifter until the red light comes on on the dash and i can get the keys out. I read somewhere that it might be a dust and grease build up that is keeping a small ball from hitting a detent, not 100% sure though. Third, check engine light was on when i bought it, i have done a tune up on it but need to know how to find out what is throwing the CEL light. Thanks and ANY input would help out a bunch. Im gonna head out monday and pick up a haynes manual for the car so if i need to tear anything out i can have some reference.

It is just not a good manual for beginners. Below is a quote from Gen5Alive where I go into greater detail as to what I find objectionable about the Haynes:

There are many people that swear by [Haynes] and will disagree with me vigorously.

I say Helm Service Manuals are for beginners and those needing to expand their knowledge base. Haynes is for the experienced mechanic that needs Honda specific “pointers”, as opposed to needing instruction. The difference being the individual; either being rather new to automotive repair, or confident enough to say, “Anything I break, I can fix.”

When I was 16, I owned a 1987 Honda CRX. I knew nothing about cars and nothing about tools. I bought the Haynes manual for the CRX and found myself…so lost. Every time I worked on my CRX, I broke something new. The people at the Honda dealership got to know me very well as I would be in for parts one day and back the next for service. I think the parts guy started to feel sorry for me, ‘cause one day while making one of my many part purchases he pulled out the Helms Honda CRX Service Manual from their Service department, set it down in front of me, and said, “Look for what you need, I will be back in about 10 minutes.” Flipping through the pages opened my eyes. The instructions where so clearly written. There were no photos, only drawings. Which if you think about it is much better. A photo provides too much information, a drawing focuses on the important stuff and leaves everything else (shading, other components, etc.) out of the picture. That book was all I needed to see. When he came back, I promptly told him that what I needed was that book. Since that day, I have only used Helm Service Manuals to perform repairs on all the Hondas and Acuras I have ever worked on. Last year, I tried to use the Haynes in an effort to repair a 1980 Volvo; which how I am able to now make an informed comparison of the two (see paragraph above)

Read my posts, read my threads, and judge for yourself whether or not the Helm Manual is worth its weight in gold. I have never taken an automotive repair class, worked at a Honda dealership, or have been given any type of professional automotive credentials. Everything I know about Honda has come from studying the Helm Service Manuals. I don’t know if that last statement destroyed my credibility, boasts the Helm Service Manuals, or exemplifies my own abilities which would have no bearing on your own experience with the same books. I say pick up the Helm book and find out yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

i have the same problem with the park situation in my 90 accord. real pain in the ass. i have heard two possibilities haven't looked into either. first, if u pop up the cover at the bottom of the shift (cover with P R N D4 D3 2 1 on it) there supposedly is some sort of linkage down there that needs to be adjusted one way or the other. second, under the car where the shift linkage actully goes into the tranny there is a little boot u can pull back and lube up the cable with some tranny fluid. like i said i havent tried either of these yet. the shifting with the car off could be the lock at the shifter that u put ur key into could be broken. just a thought though.

Archived