91 Accord EX tranny probs

blackwater

Recently my 91 Accord started going in and out of overdrive - then suddenly last night the "S" light starts blinking and now no overdrive. The speed sensor was replaced last year. I did notice today the engnie temp seems a bit lower than usual by about 1/8 inch on the gague even after driving 20 or so minutes. I cleaned all the connectons coming off the tranny that I could easily get to and the fluid level is fine and was changed about 3 or 4 years ago.

Any ideas or anything else I should check? I can't get to a parts store till tomorrow and in the interim I had thought about partially blocking the radiator to get the temp up and see if that's the problem...keeping a close eye on the temp gague of course!

Pull the Malfunction Indicator Light code.

Sorry - not sure what you mean. Are you talking about counting the number of times the "S" light flashes like a chk engine light? If so how do you so this - or are you talking about the chk engine light?

Are you talking about counting the number of times the "S" light flashes like a chk engine light? If so how do you so this...

Yes, count the number of times the "S" light flashes. Like Check Engine Light (MIL), the number and frequence of flashes correspondes to a specific Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).

On the 1994-97 Honda Accord:

The same service connector used to pull DTCs from the Engine Control Module (ECM) is used to pull DTCs from the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and ABS control module. In other words, if I have a: Check Engine Light, Flashing D, and a ABS light on, by closing the diagnostic circuit, I make all three flash their codes simultaneously. The codes cycle on the ECM and TCM. The ABS control module will not cycle a code for an intermittent problem.

Back to your car:

This may or may not be how to pull the codes in your car, but the point is that if you know how to pull codes from the check engine light, do the same for your transmission.

Yes, count the number of times the "S" light flashes. Like Check Engine Light (MIL), the number and frequence of flashes correspondes to a specific Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).

On the 1994-97 Honda Accord, the same service connector is used to pull the DTCs from the Engine Control Module (ECM) are used to pull codes from the Transmission Control Module (TCM), among other systems. In other words, on the 1997 Accord, if you have a Check Engine Light, Flashing D, and a ABS light on, closing the diagnostic circuit will make all three flash their codes simultaneously; don't worry, the codes cycle on the ECM and TCM, some codes in the ABS control do not.

This may or may not be how to pull the codes in your car, but the point is that if you know how to pull codes from the check engine light, do the same for your transmission.

Ah! Ok - thanks, that makes sense. I'm going to try to replace the solenoids tomorrow with ones off my 93 SE and see if that fixes it. My mechanic seems to thik it couldn't hurt...

No, you do not need a special code reader.

On the 1994-97 Honda Accord:

The same service connector used to pull DTCs from the Engine Control Module (ECM) is used to pull DTCs from the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and ABS control module. In other words, if I have a: Check Engine Light, Flashing D, and a ABS light on, by closing the diagnostic circuit, I make all three flash their codes simultaneously. The codes cycle on the ECM and TCM. The ABS control module will not cycle a code for an intermittent problem.

Back to your car:

On my car, the service connector is a 2-pin connector with the wires connected (it is a jumper wire). The diagnostic circuit is closed by connecting the service connector. You can do the same thing with a jumper wire.

No, you do not need a special code reader.

On my car, the service connector is a 2-pin connector with the wires connected (it is a jumper wire). The diagnostic circuit is closed by connecting the service connector. You can do the same thing with a jumper wire.

Throwing on a coat to go see if I can find mine!

Archived