heater and defrost have no heat.

mashguy

I am taking over my sisters 89 honda accord and the heater doesnt work. The air comes out but it is not hot. I was told it could be the thermostat, heater core, or the heater core valve.

I just replaced the thermostat today. That didnt fix the problem. And I heard that if it was the heater core, then the passenger side floor will most likely be wet with antifreeze.

So I assume its most likely the valve.

Does anyone know if there could possibly be anything other than those things?.

And anyone know where the valve is located on this car, and if I might beable to just take it apart and clean it?.

Thanks in advance..

The temp was right below the halfway mark yesterday and today. But when I changed the thermostat I forgot to refill it since some lieaked out, it almost hit the hot mark so I turned the car off, let it sit and then refilled it.

Now the temp is again right below the halfway mark, and is staying there.

I was about to buy the heater core valve but the guy at autozone told me to just manually open it by the little switch, which I did. But that still didnt fix the problem. Another guy at autzone told me the radiator could be plugged, but its sucking down antifreeze so I assume its not plugged. Im really desperate because its my only mode of transportation and I need it to get back and forth to work.

Any other possibilites it could be?.

Also the water pump was just replaced about a year ago, so I dont think its that.

There is 3 sensors on the thermostat housing. I assume 1 is the temperature sensor, but I dont know what the other 2 are.

If one of them is bad would it make it so the thermostat cant open up and send anitifreeze to the heater core, or do they have nothing to do with that?.

I felt the upper hose and lower hose on the radiator, and they were hot. Then I felt the hose that comes out by the thermostat to the heater core, but it wasnt hot. So does that probably point towards the thermostat?. Also the spring of the thermostat should be on the inside of the block right?. Because thats the way I installed it.

I thought it might have been the heater core. But I heard from some people that if it was the heater core, there would be antifreeze on the carpeting on the passenger side.

that would be possible if it were damaged but if its just that its clogged it wont leak, what i did with mine was take off the two hoses that go to the heater core under the hood, i put one in a bucket, then the other i put a funnel then a garden hose and flushed it out completely, a bunch of junk came out then my heat worked fine

that would be possible if it were damaged but if its just that its clogged it wont leak, what i did with mine was take off the two hoses that go to the heater core under the hood, i put one in a bucket, then the other i put a funnel then a garden hose and flushed it out completely, a bunch of junk came out then my heat worked fine

Ha! I was reading this and this was the first thing that came to mind. Happens often where the inlet on the heater core gets clogged. Unscrupulous dealers and mech shops make a killing replacing heater cores when this is all that is needed to correct the problem.

The tell-tale symptom is if you get a little bit of heat, but not very much.

Thanks guys, I will try that tomorrow. I cant afford to have the heater core replaced, and I have no idea how to do it myself so if flushing it works that will be a big relief.

I don't know that it's really hard, but it is time consuming.

Archived