Installing 6x9 speakers into a 91 Honda Accord EX

1991HondaAccordEx

I'm trying to install a pair of JVC CS-V6945 6x9 speakers in to the rear speaker panel of my 91 Honda Accord EX sedan. When I looked online those were the speaker dimensions I was given. However, the speakers don't seem to fit. The trunk bar keeps getting in the way of the magnet. I bought a pair of universal 6x9 spacers would those help? If so, can anyone tell me how to install them using the spacers? Or am I missing something else? Note: My car was stolen a few months ago and the speakers were ripped out grill and all, so I don't know if they ripped out anything essential for installing new speakers.

I'm reading this post and the first thought is that these speakers are not the same as what was stolen. I have a feeling that you upgraded to a 2-way, 3-way, or 4-way speaker. This change lowers the position of the magnet, as there has to be additional room for the additional speakers that sit inside the main 6x9 speaker cone.

If I am wrong, then we all need more info as this post has 10 views and no responses.

I'm reading this post and the first thought is that these speakers are not the same as what was stolen. I have a feeling that you upgraded to a 2-way, 3-way, or 4-way speaker. This change lowers the position of the magnet, as there has to be additional room for the additional speakers that sit inside the main 6x9 speaker cone.

If I am wrong, then we all need more info as this post has 10 views and no responses.

You hit the nail right on the head. I upgraded to a 4-way speaker system. So, is returning the speakers my only option?

No, you can cut or remove the trunk bar, although I would not suggest it.

My recomendation:

Take a measurement of the distance between the deck lid and trunk bar. Take those 4-way speakers back and buy a speaker that fits space you have.

No, you can cut or remove the trunk bar, although I would not suggest it.

My recomendation:

Take a measurement of the distance between the deck lid and trunk bar. Take those 4-way speakers back and buy a speaker that fits space you have.

Ok thanks. I was afraid that would be my only option.

Ok thanks. I was afraid that would be my only option.

Know that the bar(s) that are in the way is actually a spring/lifter. It enables you to open and close your trunk with ease.

I went through the 6x9 speaker chase on my 93 a few years ago and finally ended up staying with the factory speakers. I did find a set of Boston FX6-H speakers that fit back there but I was not impressed with the sound and returned them. None of the highly-rated 6x9 speakers would fit in the precut holes in the back of my car due to the springs and I was not going to try to cut any new holes.

just get a 1 way speaker in the rear, the ones with all the tweaters and junk built in are made in such a way that there is a hole in the middle of the woofer cone and this doesn't make them sound as nice. the tweeters up front should be all you need for the highs

Damn, I hate Sony car audio. It sucks major ass.

I just linked the first one. There were actually several direct fits to choose from. Check them out yourself and find something more to your liking.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GT6936A/So...tures_and_specs

These should fit. You'll still be able to have a set of 3 ways.

Crutchfield ain't foolproof. Back when I went through the 6x9 speaker chase, Crutchfield recommended the Infinity Kappa 692.5i 6x9's. I even called them to make sure the spec's on their website was correct. They assured me it was so I ordered them and whaddoya know, they still stuck down about ¾ inch too deep and hit against that spring. I looked at trying to raise them somehow, but even if I rigged something up, I could no longer use the Honda holders and grilles on the back window deck.

Those Kappa's were the final straw for me. I put the factory 6x9's back in and never revisted it again.

To the OP: I hope you get lucky and find something that sounds good and is flat enough to fit in there.

OP, you should take some measurements before looking any further. The manufacuter will publish the dimensions of the speaker to avoid this situation your in, e.g. JVC CS-V6945 and CS-V6935.

According to the Victor Company of Japan (JVC), their CS-V6945 will need at least 79 millimeters (mm) of clearance below the speaker. Given the issue you stated above, I suppose you do not have 79mm of space.

• 3 months later...
You hit the nail right on the head. I upgraded to a 4-way speaker system. So, is returning the speakers my only option?

well i have a 91 accord lx and my speakers in the front and the back are all 6 1/2 demensions so wherever you got those dimensions from they told you a lie.. you need 6 1/2 inch speakers

I'm trying to install a pair of JVC CS-V6945 6x9 speakers in to the rear speaker panel of my 91 Honda Accord EX sedan. When I looked online those were the speaker dimensions I was given. However, the speakers don't seem to fit. The trunk bar keeps getting in the way of the magnet. I bought a pair of universal 6x9 spacers would those help? If so, can anyone tell me how to install them using the spacers? Or am I missing something else? Note: My car was stolen a few months ago and the speakers were ripped out grill and all, so I don't know if they ripped out anything essential for installing new speakers.

you need 6 1/2 inch speakers because i have the same year accord but it is a lx and i have 6 1/2 inch speakers in the front and the back.

Archived