Help! Honda Accord Check engine light on

foxtrot

Hi,

I have a 2001 Honda Accord with 90,000 mileages on, the check engine light has been on and off for a few months, then it stays on for about a month. I brought it to a local mechanic (hoping to spend less with the problem fixed), but it turns out the mechanics can not diagnose the real problem. Every time after he replaced the parts and I drove for certain miles, the light came back on. He replaced the canister box, the purge valve, the solenoid valve, and the rear smoke sensor, which cost me 800 dollars for labor and parts, but still didn’t fix the problem (I've brought my car back to him 4 times, 2 times he didn't charge labor fee). Now he told me he needs 2-3 days to do a complete step by step check. But I don't know if I should still trust him because I've spend 800 dollars for nothing! I want to bring the car to the dealer but the risk is the dealer might end up charging more. What is your suggestion? Thanks very much!

I'm amazed that with a check engine light, the mechanic has been replacing so much...

do this:

1) when the check engine light appears, go to Autozone and borrow (it's free if your car is in their parking lot) their OBD reader...

2) when your car is turned off, connect the reader to your plug (should be somewhere under driver's area or passenger's...I don't know for 2001 accord)

3) turn the car key to ON position and the reader will come on (turn it on)...

4) write down the code(s) and Autozone will tell you what the codes are or come online and search the code...

the code will tell you what the problem is :)

gl :D

He didn't give me a code. And I didn't know I should have asked for the code. I just trusted him to replaced the parts because he was a recommended mechanics from my relatives.

Yea, everytime the CEL lights it's supposed to store a code. I think the mechanic is screwing with you, because he's replacing random parts, and not telling you what the ECU is indicating. Do what Lina said and run it to Autozone. They will scan it for free. Also, even though the dealer is more expensive, you will get the BEST service there. Honda technicians are very thoroughly trained to work on your Honda vehicle.

Yea, everytime the CEL lights it's supposed to store a code. I think the mechanic is screwing with you, because he's replacing random parts, and not telling you what the ECU is indicating. Do what Lina said and run it to Autozone. They will scan it for free. Also, even though the dealer is more expensive, you will get the BEST service there. Honda technicians are very thoroughly trained to work on your Honda vehicle.

Thank you and Lina for good suggestions. I think you are right, the dealer is probably the place I should go at this point where I spent 800 dollars but didn't get the problem fixed in local shop.

Thank you and Lina for good suggestions. I think you are right, the dealer is probably the place I should go at this point where I spent 800 dollars but didn't get the problem fixed in local shop.

Get the codes. Report back to us. We can get you going in the right direction. You can even take it back to that mechanic. Just inform him of what to do, and explain that since he screwed you before, his labor is free for the immediate future.

Archived