1998 Accord will not start (I think it's the fuel pump)

dwtuggle

Good Evening,

About two weeks ago my Accord started sputtering while driving down the road. I got it back home and the next day it wouldn't start at all, but fires great. I replaced the main relay last year and I still had the old one so I switched them out and the symptoms remain (as in it still will not start). It does act like the main relay though, but I'm 99% sure that I can rule it out as I've tried two of them, and the car wouldn't start in the cold (Relay's seem to act up in hot weather). I have also been listening to the tank and can barely hear the fuel pump running so I popped the trunk and unhooked the fuel line that feeds the motor and had someone try to start it and sure enough a little gas shot out. However, I could place my finger over the line and stop the fuel from coming out (seems like low pressure)

So, my wife has almost the same car (2000 Accord) so I listened to her fuel pump and can hear it much louder. I also unhooked her gas line and placed my finger over the line and I could not stop the fuel from coming out. (higher pressure)

So, with all of that said, does the fuel pump seem bad on my car. Does low pressure mean that the pump is bad, or would there be no pressure at all? I do not have a gauge to test the pressure, and I think I could just about buy the pump by the time I bought the gauge. I guess what I'm mainly wondering is if that amount of pressure sounds right?

Thanks for any advice on this..... I'm about to buy a pump (Ebay under $50) just to rule it out, but I think that I'm on the right track....

dt

Good Evening,

About two weeks ago my Accord started sputtering while driving down the road. I got it back home and the next day it wouldn't start at all, but fires great. I replaced the main relay last year and I still had the old one so I switched them out and the symptoms remain (as in it still will not start). It does act like the main relay though, but I'm 99% sure that I can rule it out as I've tried two of them, and the car wouldn't start in the cold (Relay's seem to act up in hot weather). I have also been listening to the tank and can barely hear the fuel pump running so I popped the trunk and unhooked the fuel line that feeds the motor and had someone try to start it and sure enough a little gas shot out. However, I could place my finger over the line and stop the fuel from coming out (seems like low pressure)

So, my wife has almost the same car (2000 Accord) so I listened to her fuel pump and can hear it much louder. I also unhooked her gas line and placed my finger over the line and I could not stop the fuel from coming out. (higher pressure)

So, with all of that said, does the fuel pump seem bad on my car. Does low pressure mean that the pump is bad, or would there be no pressure at all? I do not have a gauge to test the pressure, and I think I could just about buy the pump by the time I bought the gauge. I guess what I'm mainly wondering is if that amount of pressure sounds right?

Thanks for any advice on this..... I'm about to buy a pump (Ebay under $50) just to rule it out, but I think that I'm on the right track....

dt

Does it even try to start while you are cranking it? I mean that is there any indication that combustion is trying to ignite while you are holding the key in the start position or just cranking and cranking and nothing else?

did you get the new pump yet? if the pump goes out i think it just means that its gone out enough to keep from building the right amount of pressure, so when you have it spurting gas without any restriction it might feebly pump out some gas, but not be able to build any kind of pressure.

Archived