Rev limiter hits at 3500

98racer

I have a 98 Accord. It is stock but we race it in Enduro races in Wisconsin.

My problem is sometimes the car dont start. It truns over fine but dont fire.

The next problem is once its running when it gets up to operating temp, it

seems to hit the rev limiter it 3500. Once it cools down we doit all over again.

Any help?

John

Fairly certain it's not the rev limiter you're hitting. I had a failing distributor that would misfire *until* it hit operating temp. Perhaps you're having something similar, only in reverse?

Fairly certain it's not the rev limiter you're hitting. I had a failing distributor that would misfire *until* it hit operating temp. Perhaps you're having something similar, only in reverse?

I thought it was the distributor also. I bought one from a Salvage yard for 75dollars and this one does it also.

I dont want to buy a new one if its not the dist, but how many used one do I buy to find a good one.

I sure its not the rev limiter, Im just trying to explane what it feels/sounds like. Its not a speed thing, because I can grab a gear and keep accellerating but not over 3500.

Any other ideas

I thought it was the distributor also. I bought one from a Salvage yard for 75dollars and this one does it also.

I dont want to buy a new one if its not the dist, but how many used one do I buy to find a good one.

I sure its not the rev limiter, Im just trying to explane what it feels/sounds like. Its not a speed thing, because I can grab a gear and keep accellerating but not over 3500.

Any other ideas

cylinder misfire

cylinder misfire

Can you give more details on oyur cylinder misfire answer? Im guessing you are refering to pluge wires and plugs.

It does have newer wires but unsure about the plugs.

John

I see a lot of poeple viewing this, anyone else have a clue?

If its "limiting" at around 4000, then your engine is in a safety mode for low oil. If the oil gets low, and there isn't enough getting to the camshaft, then the engine will not allow vtec to engage, i.e., its keeping from frying the engine. It's not too uncommon in 6th generation accords, you can read all about it at 6thgenaccord.com.

• 2 months later...
Here is a real good read from all the way back in 2006 about low oil and "limp mode":

Limp Mode

Sorry it took so long. The Limp Mode sounds like a good answer but in the link you gave they say"It dosnt do it in Nuetral"

Mine is a Manuel(5-speed) and it does it in Nuetral also. By the way, sometime it cranks but dont start, I checked for spark and there was now. I belive this is a totally seperate issue but not sure. I added a 1/2 qt of oil incase oil was moving away from the pick up in the corners, that didn't help. Can I trick the ECU into thinking the oil leval is fine or that the cooling temp is low. Can I unplug the temp and pressure senders?

• 2 weeks later...
if your lossing oil pressure goin arounds, that could possibly be your oil pump... not 100% tho im not a expert mechanic

Does anyone know where I can get a free wiring diagram for this 98 Accord?

Thanks,

John

• 1 month later...
I have a 98 Accord. It is stock but we race it in Enduro races in Wisconsin.

My problem is sometimes the car dont start. It truns over fine but dont fire.

The next problem is once its running when it gets up to operating temp, it

seems to hit the rev limiter it 3500. Once it cools down we doit all over again.

Any help?

John

UPDATE: I now know it is not a low oil pressure issue. It did the samething after idling in my driveway.

How do I check codes? I took it to Autozone and they scaned it, it only came up with an O2 sensor, but

it was not acting up at that time.

ANYONE please hlep.

John

Archived