'95 Wagon fail Smog- High NOx

Sean SL

I have a high mileage (208k) that failed NOx. I checked the EGR by applying vacuum, the engine stumbles. I checked and replaced the vacuum control valve and solenoid. The valve was a little low on vacuum, so I replaced it. The NOx was pretty high so I am not sure that is the problem. I measured 5V at the EGR lift sensor, but I don't have a harness adapter, so I can't check the voltages at the ECU. So I don't know if the logic is working. Any ideas?

It could also be the CAT. If anyone is familiar with this, I would greatly appreciate some feedback. Is it usually the first or second cat that goes bad or Both. How can you tell without buying one?

I have a high mileage (208k) that failed NOx. I checked the EGR by applying vacuum, the engine stumbles. I checked and replaced the vacuum control valve and solenoid. The valve was a little low on vacuum, so I replaced it. The NOx was pretty high so I am not sure that is the problem. I measured 5V at the EGR lift sensor, but I don't have a harness adapter, so I can't check the voltages at the ECU. So I don't know if the logic is working. Any ideas?

It could also be the CAT. If anyone is familiar with this, I would greatly appreciate some feedback. Is it usually the first or second cat that goes bad or Both. How can you tell without buying one?

Start by cleaning the EGR ports...

Archived