98 Honda Accord Engine Dies!!!! HELP!!!

98Sdime

I have a 1998 honda Accord 4-Door LX V-tech engine. I've recently had a nasty problem with this car and it's driving me nuts. You can be driving and the car will just completely die out, all the lights in the dash and odometer and everything goes blank. I have to stop, put it in park, and restart it, some times it takes a few trys to start it some times just one. What could be causing this...

check your battery terminals and wires. makes sure the pos and neg or tight and not loose at all on the battery and check the ends of em as well 1 will be right on the starter (pos) and the neg will be right on the block its self. make sure thoughs are nice and tight, check all your fuse under the hood and the dash, check your ecu and your main relay, check cap and rotor on the dist. could be the dizzy. check your coil could be bad, check for any grounded out wires(basically power wires that touch on bare metal, spark plugs.

but ya your def have a elec. prob...

1.battery- check terminals, voltage

2.plugs- check wear, spark

3.dizzy- listen for weird noise

4.alt relay- voltage must match batt

5.unknown drain- anything, lost power from cable, something not grounded, etc

• 1 month later...

I have a 99 v-tech. Similar problem but when it cuts out all the dash lights come on and also the immobiliser (green key) light comes on. sometimes takes a few attempts to start again.

Sometimes it wont even start up from parked because it seems to keep immobilising.

Anyone have any ideas??

cheers

^some wire shorting somewhere or your security system is messing up...

Follow the wires, but if it's a very custom security system, it'll be hard to figure out. I had to take all my custom security system off and it was a pain since someone very smart had done it...

• 7 months later...

I have a 1998 honda Accord 4-Door LX V-tech engine. I've recently had a nasty problem with this car and it's driving me nuts. You can be driving and the car will just completely die out, all the lights in the dash and odometer and everything goes blank. I have to stop, put it in park, and restart it, some times it takes a few trys to start it some times just one. What could be causing this...

I can guarantee you that this problem is caused by your alarm.... yeah weird enough but true.

you are going to have to buy a new ignition coil and replace it, but before you do anything else you have to remember not to put the alarm back into your wire harness..... just leave it be.

• 10 months later...

I've had this problem. a couple of posts are close to the issue. It's the ignition. There's a Honda recall for this ignition which causes this problem. Here's the NTSHA site with the info on exactly what the problem is. You can get the VIN # and call a Honda dealer to see if it's been fixed already on your car. Even it has been fixed, the problem will happen again, which was the case with my car that I bought used. Turns out, the ignition had already been replaced because of this recall. I had to insist on speaking to the service mgr before they would replace it again for free. BAsically the guy told me that it doesn't matter how many times the igintion goes, bad Honda will replace it.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm

Make: HONDA Model: ACCORD

Model Year: 1998

Manufacturer: AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO. Mfr's Report Date: MAY 13, 2002

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 02V120000 N/A

NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH

Summary:

ON CERTAIN SEDANS, COUPES, HATCHBACKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, ELECTRICAL CONTACTS IN THE IGNITION SWITCH CAN DEGRADE DUE TO THE HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT PASSING THROUGH THE SWITCH WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED.

Consequence:

WORN CONTACTS COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WITHOUT WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JUNE 14, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.

Notes:

CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Archived