clunking sound

s1kmad3

All,

My girlfriends 02 Accord EX has a very loud clunking sound coming from the front driver side wheel area. It makes the sound (really loud) mostly when you are turning while reversing, but can also be heard when making U-turns and going over speed bumps. The best way I can describe the sound with words is *clunk,clunk,clunk* almost as if something is hitting against something (metal to metal) One shop said that it sounds like the axle, another said they dont know what it could be. Gonna get another place to try and diagnose what it may be, but figured that one of you guys might be able to save me some cash! Hopefully you all can give me advice on things I can look/do myself in order to eliminate possibilities! THANK YOU......

Kegger,

Thanks for your advice!!

The car can still be driven. Would I not be able to drive it if the axle was done?

CV boots are not torn.What would be loose??

Dude, sounds like a blown axle to me.

Get up under the car and make sure all your boots are intact, and that nothing is loose.

Kegger,

Thanks for your advice!!

The car can still be driven. Would I not be able to drive it if the axle was done?

CV boots are not torn.What would be loose??

The axle itself wouldn't be damaged. What gets damaged are the constant velocity (CV) joints. The bearings in them wear out or break and they continue to rotate but make loud clunking noises when strained in certain ways, such as speed bumps or sharp turns.

Xeryon,

Thanks for your help!

Is there DIY instructions that can help me check to see if the bearings are bad , rather than bringing it to a shop to get diagnosed?

If it is the bearings in the CV joint, is that that the only thing I should get replaced? Should I replace both CV joints so that I dont have to worry about them? So I dont have to replace my entire axle?

The axle itself wouldn't be damaged. What gets damaged are the constant velocity (CV) joints. The bearings in them wear out or break and they continue to rotate but make loud clunking noises when strained in certain ways, such as speed bumps or sharp turns.

Generally when a cv is replaced it is just replaced as a complete axle assembly. I have never tried to replace just the cv joint but I hear it is a pain. Last time I replaced a set of axles I just did the whole thing instead of bothering to replace the cv since the complete assembly was only $125 or so (I think)

All,

My girlfriends 02 Accord EX has a very loud clunking sound coming from the front driver side wheel area. It makes the sound (really loud) mostly when you are turning while reversing, but can also be heard when making U-turns and going over speed bumps. The best way I can describe the sound with words is *clunk,clunk,clunk* almost as if something is hitting against something (metal to metal) One shop said that it sounds like the axle, another said they dont know what it could be. Gonna get another place to try and diagnose what it may be, but figured that one of you guys might be able to save me some cash! Hopefully you all can give me advice on things I can look/do myself in order to eliminate possibilities! THANK YOU......

i agree with cranny, check your sway bar end links. i had the same problem on my 2001 honda accord. i took the car to canadian tire and it was the sway bar and end links. replaced them for 250.00 which included balancing.

• 4 weeks later...

A bad bearing will howl with increasing volume as a function to the vehicle's speed, you do not seem to have a bad bearing.

Something is loose:

1. Sway bar links (this was already mentioned and is a good suggestion)

2. Brake Caliper Bolts - make sure none are loose; they require 80 ft-lbs.

3. Lug Nuts - make sure you have them all, if you are missing any, the wheel can come loose and make noise under the conditions you described. Make sure they are tightened to 80 ft-lbs.

4. CV Axle - make sure both inner and outer boots are entact. Make sure the spindle nut is tightened to at least 150 ft-lbs but not more than 300 ft-lbs.

5. Pinch Fork - be sure all the bolts are tight, a loose pinch fork will allow the strut to "travel" while vehicle drives over uneven surfaces; this can make some noise. The top bolts need to be at 32 ft-lbs, the bottom at 46 ft-lbs.

Archived