Temperature Gauge Needle position

dudek93

I have a 1991 Accord EX-R automatic. Can anyone tell me where the temp. gauge needle should sit when the car is at normal operating temperature? My accord needle sits about 1/4" inch below the half point, is this normal for the 2.2L engines? if not I know the thermostat is to blame. my other cars the needle sat exactly half way.

Thanks in advance for the answer.

it's fine. that's about where mine sat before i accidentally broke it off (stupid plastic b.s.)

everything is fine but it burns more fuel that way. I need to know if all the honda accords that body style are the same? thanks

everything is fine but it burns more fuel that way. I need to know if all the honda accords that body style are the same? thanks

are you saying its getting stuck in high idle mode? if so then yes that would be a problem and most likely the thermostat is stuck open or just isn't there.

Is it always there or does it change but when you have been driving for a while, it just sits there?

I'd say change the thermostat and coolant :D

it changes, works normally, its not stuck, just the needle goes up and sits below the half way point when the car/engine is fully warmed up. I would say about 1/4" inch below the mid mark. on every other car the needle sits pretty much at the mid mark when the car/engine is fully warmed up. I will take a picture today for clarification. thanks

yeah idk why you are worried. you're cooling system is working efficiently. i think most honda's have a 180* thermostat which was lower than my truck so maybe that's what you are noticing. and its not like you've got a big motor to try to cool down.

Archived