96 Accord severe hesitation during acceleration

MisterDavid

I've been dealing with hesitation when I accelerate. And when I say hesitation its like a really rough shudder as long as I have the accelerator pressed. Once I'm up at cruising speed and I don't have to press the gas much it runs fairly smooth. At idle it will occasionally drop some RPMs and idle really rough. The check engine light just recently came on too, though it didn't when I first began experiencing the issue.

I figured at first it was the fuel filter...which I changed. (Don't get me started on that one!) Changed it out and the hesitation is still there. It doesn't idle nearly as rough though.

I only have 2 guesses at this point. A dirty/clogged fuel injector or I don't have enough fuel pressure. PCV valve is also good.

Hope the description of the problem is good enough. I will take it over it autozone and have them check for a code. Might give me some idea.

I've been dealing with hesitation when I accelerate. And when I say hesitation its like a really rough shudder as long as I have the accelerator pressed. Once I'm up at cruising speed and I don't have to press the gas much it runs fairly smooth. At idle it will occasionally drop some RPMs and idle really rough. The check engine light just recently came on too, though it didn't when I first began experiencing the issue.

I figured at first it was the fuel filter...which I changed. (Don't get me started on that one!) Changed it out and the hesitation is still there. It doesn't idle nearly as rough though.

I only have 2 guesses at this point. A dirty/clogged fuel injector or I don't have enough fuel pressure. PCV valve is also good.

Hope the description of the problem is good enough. I will take it over it autozone and have them check for a code. Might give me some idea.

check spark plugs, mine was doing something similar when they went bad. how was the fuel filter hard? its right out in the open on the firewall?

check spark plugs, mine was doing something similar when they went bad. how was the fuel filter hard? its right out in the open on the firewall?

Fuel filter is unfortunately not right out in the open. Took about 3hrs. Taking out is the easy part...getting back in and get the fuel line lined up on the back side while trying to thread the bolt back in with one hand...not so much.

The plugs looked fine as did the wires. Been a while since I replaced them, but I suppose its a cheap fix to try next. I guess while I'm getting the codes checked at the auto store, I'll pick some up.

Any other ideas out there?

some things to check are, the MAP Sensor, Spark Plugs and wires, and the Distributor Cap. I had this problem with my honda about 2 months ago. It also might be bad gas but mine was a cylinder misfire because of a spark plug.

my sol was doing that when it was boosted with stock 240cc injectors because it wasnt getting enough fuel then it would go into limp mode.. check your injectors, they could possibly be bad

id check the dizzy and spark plugs.. but it doesnt sound like thats the problem. if it were plugs you would be detonating early causing backfire.. dizzy would be hesitating to start and/or idle smoothly.. id change the dizzy rotor and cap just to do it.. its only a little over $20 for both of those at advanced :thumbsup:

Archived