Key stuck in ignition!! HELLP!

hannahco

The system ate my key that I had made as a backup because I didn't know it wouldn't take the key without the RFID chip. I can start the car when i have the ignition key close to the backup one. I cant get the back up key out! I have a 99 honda accord. It feels like they key is just jammed but from reading other things they car may be immobilized and eats the key. Can anyone help me get the key out. Or tell me how to get the steering column cover off?

You may want to call your dealer for this one. 98-01 accords had a factory recall for repairing ignition assemblies where keys would get stuck or would come out when the car was running. It's possible that they are still honoring that recall.

Assuming it is an automatic try releasing the shifter release button and make sure the car is in park. It may be that the park switch is not engaging thus not allowing you to take the key out. Also, as stated above turning the wheel back and forth may also help in getting the key out. If a recall has not been done then let the dealer take care of it for you.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived