'93 Accord randomly won't start

ccolley

I have a '93 Accord that randomly doesn't start. I replaced the battery semi-recently and it still dies on random occasions, about once or twice per month. For instance, yesterday I was driving if with no problems, parked it, went inside for about 2-3 hours and came back out to a dead-as-a-doornail car. Why does this happen? I must also add the fact that when I was in high school, I added a rather extensive stereo system to the car and past answers to my dead car problems have been a bad ground somewhere in the stereo system. That could be, but there is no rhyme nor reason to when it decides to not start for me. If it was truly a bad ground, wouldn't it go dead just about every time I parked the car over night?

My friend recently suggested that it could be a bad alternator. How would I tell if this was the case? Do I need to suck it up and bring it into a mechanic to figure out why it won't start?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

First off there are several threads that have already discussed your situation so you should read down through. It by no fashion should be your alternator. If it is occurring on really hot sunny days then I would think it is the main relay (located under the drivers side dash). Other then that there are other potential causes so start reading some of the other threads that are related.

Archived