3-4 Transmission Shifting Problem (Automatic)

placervillebob

1995 Accord EX; 2.2L Vtec; 4 speed Auto; 207,000 miles

Recently during normal start-up in the morning the 3-4 gear shift has been slipping. By slipping I mean it is not positive as the other shifts are and it used to be. During the shift, if you keep average foot-pedal pressure on the accelerator, the engine revs about 500-700rpm before finding 4th. This typically happens for the first couple of shifts in the morning and from then on shifts normally without the slippage. You can minimize the slippage by anticipating the shift and letting up on the accelerator.

I have changed the ATF (using the Honda ATF) 2.5 qts a couple of times now without much change.

Any Idea what might be going out - a component or the whole transmission. This is a commuter car and is probably nearing the end of its useful life but it would be nice to keep it a bit longer as it is easy on fuel.

Thanks for all comments / suggestions.

Bob (placervillebob)

can be 1 of to 4 things. there is a upper and lower shift solenoids and there is the trans computer on the passenger side floor board area. all can be taking off with a 10mm socket. on the shift solenoids they could be bad or maybe just take them off and clean the screens. the shift solenoids r easy to find. there r on the passenger side of the motor on the transmission. or the transmission could be going bad. hope something helps ya. i just replaced the trans computer in my 1992 accord lx. it had the wrong computer for the year car. next thing im doing is cleaning the solenoids.

Archived