1997 engine swap (worth it?)

hobbzilla007

so heres the story- my friend recently in some way blew his motor. the car is a 2.2l and needs to have a whole new motor put in. he said he'd sell the car for 800. Any advice if itll even be worth it to put in a new engine. Ive been told itll run me around 1500. about 1000 for a descent motor and ive got someone to install for 500. so 2300 for a car thats really gonna have a younger engine. the bodys in great condition. also any other motor i could consider, looking for efficiency not power.

so heres the story- my friend recently in some way blew his motor. the car is a 2.2l and needs to have a whole new motor put in. he said he'd sell the car for 800. Any advice if itll even be worth it to put in a new engine. Ive been told itll run me around 1500. about 1000 for a descent motor and ive got someone to install for 500. so 2300 for a car thats really gonna have a younger engine. the bodys in great condition. also any other motor i could consider, looking for efficiency not power.

well what i would say first is if u can, dig kinda deep to see whats blown,before u make the decision, whether it be a cracked head, broken piston or main. it could be something like a blown head gasket. if the car itself is in good condition id say itd be worth it. bc then ud have a good looking car with a new motor and low miles and wouldnt have to worry about down payments and monthly payments on a new car.

depending on the year and condition i dont think a non running car is worth $800... :crazy: but you can haggle him... offer him $500 see what he says... look and find some shells for sale and compare his to theirs and see what you come up with... good luck man keep us updated!

• 5 weeks later...

I paid $800 for a 1997 Honda Accord Ex that slung a piston thru the block cars in perfect shape one owner 160,000 miles lady driven every option leather you name it its got it. bout a complet engine for 180 for a complet engine killer deal way worth it best car i have ever had. I would sugest going to pull-a-part in your area even if you have to tear the motor all the way apart and rebuild it yourself its worth it get a book and tear into it dont pay anyone you can get a hanes manual at your local parts store and it will preaty much tell you step by step what to do. Keep everything labled and you will be alright. Goodluck

www.pullapart.com for info on priceing and locations in your area

Archived